View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%

Hi,
Yes I was on monopril which controlled it very well. (Gave me a tiresome nightime cough though.)

But, I'm 45, and thought I'd like to try to get pregnant (fairly risky) and whem I mentioned to my doctor he suggested another drug. I'm being followed at a hypertension clinic, one of the best in Toronto, the doctors there are at the forefront of significant research into hypertension. He then switched me to methhyldopa, a very old drug, rarely used anymore but safe during pregnancy. The big drawback is you must take it 3 times daily, very inconvenient, and it's not quite as effective as the newer drugs.

I think the Atkins diet is helping my BP, I'll have to start monitoring more regularly. (Mine would spike to 246/146 at which point they kept me in emergency for 15 hours!

Frightening to say the least.

My BP is emotion sensitive too. There is no underlying kidney or physical problem that should be causing it.

I'm hoping that with improved health habits, I can get off these meds. (I'm a 32 year smoker and now trying to quit -- with Zyban, which makes me feel great, but doesn't curb the cravings much.) Zyban is a last ditch effort.

If not pregnant soon, I will go back to monopril though, it's just easier to take once a day.

I have a hunch this weight loss (Atkins) has reduced my BP, will monitor and report back to you. Cardiovascular work and weight training can only enhance things.

I saw a Jungian analyst for 6 years (she was also an M.D.) She no longer has a therapy practice but now runs workshops - along the lines of Jon Kabatt-Zinn - an American doctor who does much work with chronic health issues. She claims I could likely reduce this pressure through meditation. But that takes time and I work in theatre and the lifestyle keeps me on the go and so it's difficult to develop a routine such as that. I've heard yoga can also be helpful. You know, I truly believe that with improved health habits, increased body awareness and exercise, stress reduction techniques, all these things probably can get my BP under control. But one must be diligent. I'm hoping to get off these meds - when you read the side effects, it's troubling.

By the way, I peeked and saw you're a psychotherapist. My analyst always claimed that the BP was an emotional issue. She is also a Buddhist, but had a healthy regard for both western medicine and eastern ideas. While she didn't disapprove of medication, and saw the need for it, she really beieved it could be controlled, in my case, by other means. Her reasoning: I'm in my head and not very grounded in my body. Her feeling was that bodywork, of any kind, would solve not only the BP but certain issues. I'm sure she's right about this. I just never took the time to deal with it. No patience. But now, that patience seems to be happening.

Bye

Ruby

PS I'll let you know how I'm doing with the BP. I'm going to start logging it to make correltion between Atkins and that.