Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidC
What a tough question. On the one hand, if she's overweight, then she is likely to have some insight into both the reasons that people might be overweight and the difficulties encountered in losing. Messages about losing weight from the naturally thin, or quitting smoking from those who have never smoked, or abstinence, from those who have never had a tipple, are not very credible or useful.

Love you Sid!! and I totally agree with the credibility, of lack there of, of those who have never had a weight problem, telling others how to lose weight! Pullllease!! I want to tell them "get over yourself!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid
And does someone need to be able to practice what they preach to be credible? I tell kids not to smoke at every opportunity - because I smoke and can't quit. I think I'm a pretty credible source about not smoking, precisely because of my experiences with trying to quit.

Yes! Good one.....I'm trying ot cut back big time and I'm actually making headway. You have tons of credibility to me!
But I don't know if the good doctor has ever addressed her weight issue ....but then again, if she were a male with a weight issue, we wouldn't be having this conversaton, now would we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid
On the other hand, an addict who successfully quit could also give good guidance.

By the by, I have little respect for the unsupported argument that people overeat because of an "overstimulatory environment and uncontrolled food production."
I agree here.....
I think that for many people who overeat, it is a very unconscious act. It was for me for a very long time. I really did not want to have to face it and deal with it....so I kept myself in total denial about it....and stuffed myself for a very long time. And all of a sudden, I was 287 lbs as I hit 40 yrs old.

It is hard to face a demon like this...one that we have to come face to face with 3 times a day. Would I want a person who has not conquered their demon to advise me on how to conquer mine? Nope! Sorry but this is true for me. But the good doctor can name a person who is a successful loser and maintainer to spread this message.
Maybe Dr Barbara would be a good choice? She even supports a Paleo way of eating. only if she begins to see that her views may be needing some modifications.