#3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-17, 13:17

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The only problem I have with the study is this;

Quote:
However, studies on the effects of low-carbohydrate diets have shown higher rates of all-cause mortality,54 decreased peripheral flow-mediated dilation,55 worsening of coronary artery disease,56 and increased rates of constipation, headache, halitosis, muscle cramps, general weakness and rash.

The blue is based on epidemiological studies comparing lower to higher low-carbohydrate diet "scores," there aren't a lot of people claiming that people eating 200 grams of carbohydrate will be any healthier than people eating 250 grams of carbohydrate, those type of studies don't look at the threshold where lowering carbohydrates starts to be therapeutic. The red--that doesn't look at a low carb diet, it looks at the effect of a single high fat beverage. Jeff Volek has done a study showing that the effect of a high fat beverage of worsening flow mediated dilation disappears in people on a low carb diet--people on low carb diets become more fat tolerant.

Okay, worsening of coronary artery disease, I left that black. According to an old thread on this forum, the study was done by one of the fine individuals who was involved in stealing and publicizing Dr. Atkin's death certificate, a Dr. Richard Fleming. But don't hold that against him, there's something more relevant to the matter at hand that we can blame him for.

Quote:
The Effect of High-Protein Diets on Coronary Blood Flow

This is the study, I don't have access past the abstract.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...331970005101003

Quote:
Patients following recommended treatment for each of the independent variables were able to regress both the extent and severity of their coronary artery disease (CAD), as well as improve their myocardial wall motion (function) while following the prescribed medical and dietary guidelines. However, individuals receiving the same medical treatment but following a high-protein diet showed a worsening of independent risk factors, in addition to progression of CAD. These results would suggest that high-protein diets may precipitate progression of CAI) through increases in lipid deposition and inflammatory and coagulation pathways.

Sounds pretty damning of the "high protein" Atkins type diet intervention. Only problem is, it wasn't an intervention.

https://www.drcarney.com/blog/entry...pair-blood-flow

Dr. Michael Greger--I have nothing against vegans, I do have something against intellectual dishonesty, Gregor is praising Fleming here when he should be doing the opposite;

Quote:
At the conclusion of the study, it became apparent that 10 of the 26 individuals, despite receiving dietary instruction as outlined below, had adopted a high-protein diet throughout the study.

He's quoting the study itself here.

It became apparent? What the heck does that mean? Apparent by confession? Or apparent by results? The people on the high protein diet are likely to have been chastised, not given support. If intent to treat had been the criteria used, rather than splitting so-called high protein dieters into their own group, it's likely that very little overall benefit would have been seen. There are more honest ways to say, look, there seem to be some responders and some non-responders. Ignoring the non-responders would be wrong, dismissing them as "High Protein dieters" is unspeakable, in this context, it's likely high protein just meant off the diet anyways rather than any sort of structured plan, in this case high protein diet likely just means the SAD in most cases.

And of course, the yellow-green is just the keto-flu, it's likely increased salt, potassium and magnesium would make things better, I believe it's from an Eric Westman study that showed great result that were worth short-term discomfort.

Like I said to begin with, no problem with the idea that some vegan or near-vegan diets can be therapeutic compared to the SAD.