Thread: Gumbo Roux
View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-18, 15:54

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks Verbena! I did do some looking around online and missed that one. That's exactly the experience I was looking for, apparently people are doing it, but with a mix of coconut and almond flour.

And whether something is "this" without "that" is always up to the consumer. Some people say it's just not Christmas without snow or incessant Christmas music! Or a tree...

Whats funny is in the comments on that article/recipe, the debate about "what is gumbo" rages on...even back in 2011 on that page. I have seen Cajuns say in no way should gumbo ever have tomatoes in it...that would be "Creole"!

I have friends and business associates who are Louisiana transplants. Real Cajuns that can speak the language well...it is a different language down there! I can only go by them telling me "it aint gumbo wit no roux [SIC]". They also tell me file is optional! I'm glad, because I dont care for it. Some say its not gumbo without okra too.

So, as I said before, one can "call" a dish anything they want. "For me", no dark roux, no gumbo, its stew. Still remains to be seen if a roux made with anything but white flour tastes anything like a proper roux.

You can bet I'll report that back when I find out. I'm not quite ready to make it, but definitely before the end of winter, I still have half a bag of frozen okra from the batch I made just last month before I started this diet that I need to use up. That's the only time I ever eat okra, except deep fried.

On the storage...yes, I have a food saver. Been using it for years. I buy in bulk many things and use it for long term storage. And I do have the mason jar attachments. That's a great suggestion, thanks.

It is hard to convince someone not dedicated to losing weight to give up certain things. If your husband is not on board with it, I can see where he would NOT be happy. I used to say life is too short to live without yeast breads, but I also said I would not buy bigger pants, when the ones I have get too tight, I'll lose weight...dangit! Guess what...I bought bigger pants...and now I'm low carbing to fit back in the old ones!

The old saying, "never say never".