#10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 22:11

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Bonnie, I need to come up to Washington so you can show me the ins and outs of butchering chickens. I have "put down" two of my hens who were in a bad way, but that was simply a matter of a cleaver. They were sick enough that I wasn't tempted to think of them as food. One of these days (or maybe not, at my age) I will grow up enough to think of my chickens as more than just egg producers

I dislike butchering chickens, so I have a bunch of elderly hens. It's interesting to watch them "coaching" the egg layers - kind of like midwives.

But excess roosters need to be gotten rid of & I hate to waste food, so the 3 spares got butchered when it was about 18 degrees (F). But at least it wasn't snowing.

You might want to ask around - you never know who has the skills. My butchering is efficient, but not pretty. But I was talking with a friend the other day & found out her fil had been a butcher & taught his son the trade - tho he didn't take it up. But he does all the butchering on their small farm. So guess who I'm going to talk into give me a class on how to properly separate the pieces? He doesn't know it yet, but he will.