#231   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 14:50

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oh, I might overeat slightly on them on rare occasions, but it is certain salty, crunchy foods that are highly dangerous. Sometimes even things that aren't crunchy. Like for instance, my hummus/avocado omelet takes me perilously close. I can tell I've got that hyperstimulation thing going because I'll want to continue eating after I eat the omelet. I also have a very delayed fullness from eating. It usually takes a good 20 minutes for me to register as full.

This sounds very much like MSG/glutamate sensitivity. Free glutamate is found in most savory-tasting processed foods, and it's only very rarely listed as "MSG." There's some information about this at the Truth in Labeling site, as well as in Russell Blaylock's book about excitotoxins.

FWIW, I absolutely can't eat Squid brand fish sauce (which I see is in your omelette), or many other brands from the Asian grocery. The only one that doesn't bother me is Thai Kitchen. I'm not sure if the other ones have undeclared ingredients, or if they just use a different fermentation process that produces a lot more free glutamate. Store-bought hummus also tends to have vague, potentially glutamate-containing ingredients like "flavorings" and "spices." IIRC, even the ones from Trader Joe's have some suspicious items listed on the label.

A dish containing both ingredients would probably have me eating the whole plateful (and the plate and cutlery, too), then bouncing off the ceiling several times, and crashing in a heap in the corner.