View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 20:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Worked for me

I did Atkins and lost some weight but hit a plateau I was never able to break. I stopped, gained it all back plus some. Then I bought Thurmond's 6 Week Makeover kit. I ended up only doing the eating plan, I didn't like the the exercise plan. I did lots of walking instead. I was on the most restricted diet - the type A described above by Slim Curves - typically a menu would be:

Breakfast:
1 oz. scrambled egg-substitute
1.5 oz. turkey sausage patty (homemade, lots of fennel seed and spice, mmmmm!)
1/2 c. oatmeal made with water, cinnamon, vanilla, sweet-n-low and a strawberry

Snack:
2 oz. ahi tuna sashimi with wasabi & soyu
1/2 c. peaches

Lunch:
2 oz. chicken breast, roasted (marinated w/ tequila, lime and red pepper)
1/2 c. rice or potato
1 c. normany blend veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, carrots)

Snack:
2 oz. lean protein
1/2 c. low gi fruit

Dinner:
like lunch, mostly fish or chicken but sometimes had beef or pork

Snack (optional)
2 oz. lean protein
1/2 c. low gi fruit

Basically the idea is 2oz of lean protein (fish, white-meat poultry) combined with 1/2c. carb like oatmeal, rice or potato and veggies OR 1/2c. of low gi fruit like peaches, grapefruit, cantaloupe or berries. I found eating every 2.5-3 hours hard - like "I have to eat again already??" I didn't feel hungry and felt like I was eating all the time even though the diet is low fat/low calorie. If I did have occasional hunger pangs I'd quiet it down with a bite of protein and fruit.

I endure lack of variety well but cooking for this really opened up my spice cabinet.... I never could give up the salt though - I used it. Having a structured diet helps with the shopping and prep. By combining the diet with brisk walking for 45 minutes 5 days/week and kayaking 2x/week I lost 67 lbs and went from tight 22W to a loose misses 14 in less than a year doing this.

Unfortunately I've gained back about 16 lbs in the last year - boyfriend and I moved in together and I tossed my moderate eating and started eating like him - junkfood snacks, skipping breakfast then eating BIG fatty+carby meals. My body just doesn't work that way! With all my clothes getting tight I'm moving to change that now though - I just ordered the slim in 6 DVDs to get my tone back and I have structured my diet to the 2 oz. lean protein combo every 3 hours but this time I'm eating the whole egg and enjoying a little lowfat kefir, dairy and special K some mornings. I think the secret for me is lots of balanced little meals through the day instead one or 2 big meals. So far it's going well - I'm down 3 lbs. already and feeling a lot better.