#228   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-12, 17:56

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
If I ate that many calories, I would gain weight, no matter what my ketones were.

I fear you're right that getting the ketones up won't necessarily lead to weight loss. I've been on this forum long enough to see that some people turn the ketostix dark purple and don't lose much. And others can't even get a trace reading and lose lots. Shrug.

I found this.

Quote:
Urinary ketones reflect serum ketone concentration but do not relate to weight loss in overweight premenopausal women following a low-carbohydrate/high-protein diet.

Abstract
This study examined the effect of a low-carbohydrate/high-protein diet on serum and urine ketone body concentrations. Thirteen overweight premenopausal women aged 32 to 45 years consumed < or =20 g carbohydrate/day with liberal intakes of protein and fat for 2 weeks; thereafter, carbohydrate intake increased 5 g/week for 10 weeks. Women were weighed and provided fasting urine and blood samples to detect urinary ketones and quantify serum ketone concentrations, respectively, at baseline and weeks 1 to 4, 6, and 12. Women lost 8.3%+/-2.8% of initial body weight by week 12. Serum beta-hydroxybutyrate production was highest at week 1 and declined weekly, with all values higher than baseline (P <.05). Each week, serum beta-hydroxybutyrate was correlated with presence of urinary ketones (P <.05), but no relationship was found between weekly weight change and serum ketone production. Urinary ketones are detected in premenopausal women complying with a low-carbohydrate/high-protein diet and are associated with serum ketone concentration. However, serum ketones do not reflect weight loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15800565