#5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/143/125
BF:
Progress: 36%
Post Thanks JoAnn!

I appreciate you chiming in! I have unofficially been on Atkins since November 2001. I have lost 10 lbs and feel pretty good, but my main reason for starting some form of Atkins was for fertility issues. I didn't want to lose a bunch of weight, but if that came along with the change in WOE, that would be good! I just wanted to increase my health and fertility and really haven't stuck to Atkins entirely. With me, it's much better to occasionally have a piece of bread or mashed potatoes, or whatever. I can't just totally cut something out of my diet. If I never had it, one day I would most certainly crack and go off the deep end. That's just the way I look at it. I choose Atkins because the fertility book I was researching with talked about it and discussed how it could improve my health, so I decided that's what I would do. I also have PCOS along with insulin resistance, so this couldn't be just a dramatic change for a little while. It needed to be something I could stick with for life. While I was on induction, I realized how hard it would be for me to follow strictly. I LOVE sweets, potatoes, bread, etc and just couldn't make the decision to never eat those things again. I also travel alot, and it didn't seem like a realistic choice for me. I haven't had potatoes in awhile, but if I decide to make some beef stew and add some potatoes, I don't think that will make that big a difference, unless I picked out all the meat and vegetables and just ate the potatoes!!
The more I have looked into the different WOE's, I thought maybe I could incorporate CAD into how I have chosen to eat. My philosophy has been to decrease carbohydrates/sugars. I do occasionally eat those "forbidden" foods, but now realize that my overall health its what matters! I have never really been a meat person. It's not that I don't ever it it, I just love veggies and other things,too. It has been a bit of a struggle, especially to explain everything to people that ask why I'm tryign to decrease carbs. You get the sterotypical person who doesn't know anything about Atkins other than it makes your kidneys shut down or something like that! I feel it is also important to incorporate some type of exercise into your WOL. I'm a nurse at a busy hospital so on days I work, going to work is my exercise. I am on my feet all the 12 hrs of my shift and constantly speed walking to get everything done. If you don't like walking, just try cleaning house more, add ankle weights, squats, get a bike riding machine, try swimming and go for it. Any little bit helps. You didn't say whether or not you exercise, but if you don't try adding that. Very low impact is great, even just a aerobic video at home. I like those because then I know that no one is looking at me!
Do what feels good to you. You'll glow on the inside and that will reflect on the outside, too!
I got a little carried away, but hope that any or all of this info helps!

Chele