View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 13:40
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

While Atkins only allows 20g of carbs on induction, I've found it extreamly hard to get near that with veggies. You can subtract the fiber from the total carb count, so a cup of broccoli only ends up being around 1.5 g net carbs. If you get the 'lite' tofu, it is also very low in carbs, as is the soy based cheese I've found. My only problem is I have a hard time meeting my protien requirments, and I do eat some meats. I'm not a vegitarian, but I try to get the majority of my meals centered around veggies. I do eat lean meats and eggs, just no dairy. To keep my fat requirments up, I've discovered the use of various oils and soy lecithin. Avacados are also a wonderful source of natural fats, though I save them for occasional treats.

In his book Atkins states that a veggitarian can do Aktins, just not a vegan. I am tempted though to attempt at least 1 weeks worth of vegan recipes just to see if I can manage it.

Try finding Soy Slender, it's a soy milk sweetened with splenda that only has 1 Net carb, plenty of protien, and some fiber. It works great in recipes that call for cream. Cauliflower can be made to resemble and taste like rice or mashed potatos. Coconut milk has some carbs, but very few and can be used to make a great curry using meat or tofu. There are also Soy Protien shakes that have very trace amounts of carbs. You can't get 0 carbs on a veggie only diet, but it isn't that bad staying within the 20g carb to start, and after 2 weeks you can go ahead and start to raise that anyway