Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 07:55
Registered Member

Plan: modified paleolithic
Stats: 165/165/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Now I think it was gluten all along. Horrible reaction to blue cheese...and later on, I find out that blue cheese is made with mouldy bread.

Thanks for this info. It explains two times when I was glutened by restaurant salad dressing. I figured the restaurants were cutting their blue cheese dressing with flour. .....not so.

I'll remember this.

Quote:
I'm not in any hurry at all to try out dairy.

That said, I kinda miss butter...but have no interest in gluten-y things.

I don't see much reason to abstain from eating butter, especially on a gluten-free diet. Butter's lactose and casein content is very low.

Cow-milk cheeses are iffy. Cheeses have low lactose and casein contents compared to milk .......on the scale of 5% as much. The fermenting bacteria mostly pre-digest the sugar and protein .......gross but tasty. I eat them, but I have to be careful. Mostly I use exercise to clear the cheese headaches. I'm not sure how that works, but I suspect exercise uses ketosis to convert systemic lactose to lactic acid .......a byproduct of exertion. The liver and kidneys are capable of clearing lactic acid.

Quote:
When my tummy acts up, I drink peppermint tea. It helps a wee bit. Quells nausea and soothes overall. It doesn't make everything go away, but it truly does help.

Be careful with peppermint. It can induce heart arrhythmia.

My systemic autoimmune response to gluten is hypothyroidism .......Graves disease, and accompanying heart arrhythmia. I discovered the hard way that the peppermint tea I was drinking was making me a nearly-unconscious floor decoration.

Spearmint has much less of the offending chemical. But be aware.