Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 23:23
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienft
From here on we're dealing a lot with experiment-backed opinion. Lactose is a complex sugar. Cells can only use simple sugars. Lactose is separated into simple sugars in the small intestine by the enzyme lactase. The mechanism for detecting lactose and triggering lactase is contained in the villi. The same scenario exists for other complex sugars like fructose .........in most fruits and constitutes 50% of sucrose.

Digestion of complex sugars requires functioning villi. Non-controlled celiacs don't have functioning villi.

"Leaky gut" can be caused by candida albicans fungus. Candida thrives on intestinal sugar. Candida presents a protein which is immune identical to gluten. It's theorized that the zonulin response is first established as an immune response to digestive candida. The response is committed to innate memory.

Thereafter, whenever a gluten sensitive person consumes gluten, the small intestine dumps its contents into the bloodstream. The zonulin response may or may not control the candida. There may or may not be an ongoing immune reaction to gluten.

No tests I'm aware of have shown other antigens to elicit a zonulin dump. Casein damage from the bloodstream, both direct and immune, has been indicted along with gluten. But in the absence of any other evidence both antigens are placed into the bloodstream because of the ingestion of gluten.

Casein has been associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). In my readings I can't tell any practical causative difference between RA and osteoarthritis. They appear to be different manifestations of the same disease. RA has been associated with an immune response to casein. The blood's immune system mistakes cartilage for casein, and attacks it. There's good anecdotal evidence that abstaining from gluten keeps undigested casein out of the bloodstream, and cures arthritis.

..........and everybody thinks arthritis is a manifestation of the metabolic syndrome.

In my opinion the rest of the metabolic syndrome is also caused by gluten ingestion .......the product of molecular mimicry and a broken pancreatic fight-or-flight response.

I'm definitely going to be printing this thread off. Thank you so much!

I can tell this is going to be a real learning curve for me. I haven't tried testing out my 'dairy intolerance', and am not sure if I ever want to.

Somehow, the few times I've had really bad dairy reactions - coincided with also eating gluten. I didn't realize it at first, but hindsight is 20/20. I was wondering why my dairy intolerance seemed to be getting worse and worse. Now I think it was gluten all along. Horrible reaction to blue cheese...and later on, I find out that blue cheese is made with mouldy bread. Decided to 'cheat' (or 'carb up' if you want to gloss it over)...had a cheese quesadilla. Another particularly bad reaction. And, of course - I blamed the cheese. Didn't even think about the tortilla.

I do find it fascinating what you're saying about RA vs. osteoarthritis. And that there's 'good anecdotal evidence' that abstaining from gluten keeps the casein out of the bloodstream and somehow cures arthritis.

When I mentioned to my husband that you'd said you couldn't find anything showing a causative difference between RA and OA - he said to me, "That's because they don't know what causes it" (arthritis in general).

I'm really starting to think gluten's really bad for us, and dairy's a close second.

I found this to be particularly helpful and enlightening - you were saying:

Quote:
Casein damage from the bloodstream, both direct and immune, has been indicted along with gluten. But in the absence of any other evidence both antigens are placed into the bloodstream because of the ingestion of gluten.

No gluten for me, and I'm not in any hurry at all to try out dairy.

That said, I kinda miss butter...but have no interest in gluten-y things. Don't care about cheese at all. Never really liked it much anyway. (yeah, I know...weird).

I used to think "Paleo" was way too difficult, and it's somehow turning out to be my best way of eating. Funny how things turn out. I'm not sure I'm all that "Paleo" in my eating, but suffice to say - there's no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, no soy, no legumes, no artificial sweetener - and for the moment, no eggs either (another round of 'no sensitive seven foods' for me). Fun and games.

In any case - thanks again, you've helped a lot. Much appreciated.