#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-12, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 230/208/120 Female 64 inches
BF:5001%
Progress: 20%
Default Closed-minded doctor? Help!

Hello, I am hoping to get a bit of advice here. I recently had my TSH tested. I requested it having noticed I have a lot of symptoms of hypothyroidism (fatigue, dry skin, easy weight gain and difficulty losing, problems regulating temperature, depression, recently gave birth to a baby with multiple birth defects). It came back as 3.9. When I had my follow-up with my doctor (she's fresh out of school and acts a bit haughty), she said my thyroid is fine and that all I need is a dietitian to help me to plan my meals better. I asked her what she felt the cut-off was for TSH and she said 5 and that I'm well within the normal limits and that she wouldn't test me further. I put up a bit of a fuss saying that I had read the cut-off was 3 or so, and she went to consult a colleague (also fresh out of school). She came back to confirm that I didn't know what I was talking about, and refused to treat me further. I insisted on a referral to an endo, she gave one but said since my results are totally "normal", that it would take a year or more to get in. She is stick thin and was looking at me as if to say "just put the fork down and you'll be fine".

So now I'm stuck waiting at least a year to get further testing (doctors are hard to come by where I live). Is there anything I can do in the meantime to improve my thyroid function on my own? Has anyone had luck at a walk-in clinic for thyroid testing? I would imagine they would brush me off just the same as my family doc did?

I've begun a very low carb diet, as well as I can manage, and finally I am seeing some change in weight. I've tried for 7 months now (since my baby was born) to do moderate low carb with a few indulgences and have had a slight increase in weight over time. I exercise for about an hour every day, combo of light weight training and cardio. I live in Canada by the way.

PS: Sorry this is so long! Thank you for reading!
Sponsored Links