#3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 20:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm
I am looking for a low fat/high protein food that I can eat instead of my current high fat/high protein Atkins (lot's of fried food) diet.

You shouldn't really need to 'worry' about fat content, although fats from nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut and things like extra virgin olive oil, walnut oil, etc. are usually better source fats than fried foods.

Quote:
I am currently looking at Vital Wheat Gluten Flour as a low fat meat substitute that I can boil and not fry. However, gluten has 24 grams of carbohydrate per cup so I was wondering if there is a meat substitute that has lower amounts of carbs but is filling and has lots of protein. Any ideas?

Not sure what gluten you're looking at, but prepared seitan (wheat gluten) from White Wave has 1.3g fat, nearly 30g protein and 2.6g carbs for four ounces, which is a pretty large portion. One cup of vital wheat gluten has 20g fat, 24g carbs and 92g protein...I'd have to check my seitan recipe to see how much gluten one cup of VWG makes, but I'm thinking that would make nearly three cups, or six+ servings of gluten/wheat meat. That's a pretty good nutrient profile if you're not allergic to wheat. Hope this helps.