Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 12:00
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Wink Weight or Currency?

Quote:
"It takes a lot of chocolate wrappers: a volleyball valued at about 18 pounds ($30.38) would cost around 320 chocolate bars (costing about 134 pounds)," the journal noted.

Just a little American humor...

Like people have no common sense that sweets should be eaten occasionally--seems like we have to legislate everything for the common good...

The thing is that advertising is a lot more psychologically powerful than advertisers would want us to know. When things are portrayed as colorful and attractive in the media, create a challenge to win something that tickles the child in all of us, then priced cheaply and arranged strategically in a store, it is easy to be the proverbial moth to a flame.

And theres SO MUCH of this sort of thing going on... I mean I could sing the Oscar Mayer wiener song when I was a kid... now kids are singing Squeezed in the Middle about chocolate chip cookie sandwiches with cream filling and screaming for sugar (*cough*) I mean Fruit Rollups, wacky gummy snacks made with "real fruit", and Cheetos and crackers and chips... it's dwarfed all the other healthy stuff in the eyes of our kids, moreover now that we are adults and nobody can tell us to eat our veggies and fruits and proteins and fats, well... it is just too easy to slide down the junk food trail, setting a poor example to the next generation.