#7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-18, 05:59

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 242/225/150 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:39%/39%/24%
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
You had a catastrophic reaction to a statin drug?!? Wow, I am an outspoken opponent of them here, but have never heard of that reaction. If it is not too painful to even think about, you might add your experience to this sub-forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48
Glad to know the water aerobics helps recovery after such pain.

I started LC with New Atkins in 2010. Dr Westman spoke about the book at a nearby bookstore and I went to "check him out". He seemed nice so I made an appointment at his clinic. The clinic version is stricter yet simpler since it was designed for his clinical trials. I like the way the science is explained in the New Atkins of all the Atkins books, but lost weight on all versions of the Diet.
If you want to watch him on DietDoctor, AdaptYourLife, or videos of his local monthly support group, there are links in this thread. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...86&page=6&pp=15

I hadn't heard of AdaptYourLife or the videos so thx for the link!

Your stats say you've lost 50 pounds. Oh, how much more comfortable I would be 50 pounds lighter! And it's the adverse statin reaction that managed to add these most uncomfortable, last 40+ pounds to this frame.

My highest weight ever was over 310# during the years surrounding 2010 (surely higher, since I couldn't bear to weigh myself for a long time after I saw THAT number). But I had lost over 100# by the end the 2015 and had an excellent handle on my chronic pain problems (polypain syndrome). Then, while I was 100# lighter, wonderfully active, and at the happiest and healthiest I'd been in years, the d----d statin reaction hit me out of the blue, breathtakingly fast and hard. Now, since the onset of that nasty reaction, between the resulting prolonged immobility and the heavy medications needed to manage the super-pain (pulling it down from 9/10 and 10/10 to a welcome 7/10 and lately hints of 6/10!), I've gained back almost half of the weight I had lost, which only exacerbates my pain and discomfort even further. Yes, I am bitter. But I intend to change ALL of that and regain the lovely health and happiness I had in 2015. And your own success (-50+ pounds!) is so encouraging to me.

So, yes, I'll check out that sub-forum and probably post to it. The horrific statin experience bent my head all out of shape and I think talking about it helps me put the extended trauma in its place, maybe purge some of it bit by bit.

Bottom line for everyone who may be reading this: STATINS can be dangerous and they CAN kill (I developed PVCs from dehydration because I couldn't move enough to keep myself hydrated/nourished). Be careful! Far better to refuse your doc's offer of statins and go LCHF instead to manage your cholesterol levels. And warn your loved ones to do the same.