View Single Post
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 07:26

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

All I can say is wow!

I am so happy I have caught up on this thread.

I have fought weight and lost the battle all my life.

You can say what you want about it, but my weight just kept creeping up over the years all while being active, a former runners body , etc., etc.,

I tried all the diets and enjoyed various short term victories.

Even today I know to try to keep my carbs down and when I am behaving properly I keep my carbs between 30-60 gms per day.

I re-read some of the materials on when does BG start to cause organ damage and for the most part I have kept my BG below 100 and 2 hours post priandal ( I always mis-spell that word) I have kept it below 100 but sometimes up to 120 because I carbed out on something like ice cream.

I am so happy I made the decision to do insulin both basil (Levemir) and bolus (Novolog).

I came to the conclusion early in my diagnosis that the best thing I could do is try to emulate a non-diabetics BG's charts and A1C. I am trying to get my A1C below 5.0, right now it is 5.4.

I am trying to get my average BG below 100 and I am usually close 100-105. I take 7 readings a day.

I live by the meter and there have been times I have "abused" in terms of carb intake.

But, I usually keep my BG peak below 140 and most often below 100. But I do need to be a bit more disciplined in keeping it below 100 and that ends that.

I use Levemir and Novolog and I chase the meter. I am getting pretty good and knowing how to counter some of my "favorite" meals with the right dose of Novolog before hand.

So I am rambling.

I believe as many do and there are studies to prove it, that emulating the non-diabetics BG curve and keeping my A1C in the 5's heading for below 5 is the right course of action whatever it takes.

I must give myself about 20 injections per day to do that (6 Levemir's at 7 units in the morning and 6 Levemir's at 7 units in the evening just before bedtime and ther remaining 5-8 of Novolog based on how many carbs I am having at a meal).

I know even more so that I am doing the right thing even though I am very guilty of not getting the weight off as I should.

Now, I start my next phase of weight loss. I am trying to get to 250 by year end. Right now I am back up in the 270s, not good, but I will do it.

I really don't feel good at this weight.

I exercise, but not as good as a few years ago when I was at 260.

So I know getting my weight down brings about better quality of life besides it benefit of improving my control over my T2 diabetes.

But there is absolutely no doubt that going to insulin and Metformin ER was the right choice in dealing with this disease whether or not my overweight condition caused it.

Thanks goodness I have a terrific Doctor who simply goes along with whatever I come up with as long as it produces scientific results.

Ralph