#6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 12:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
You must remember that this diet is for carbohydrate addicts only and does not purport to serve other audiences.

Zuleika, I do not intend to get into a "battle of the quotes" with you, but it is stated in CALP under Doubtful Addiction:

"And while those with a doubtful addiction may enjoy and benefit from the LifeSpan Program, we simply want you to understand that this program was designed, specifically, to reduce the cravings and weight problems of those in the mild, moderate, or strong addiction range."

It's not a matter of slighting any program. What it appears like is an almost zealous defense of the virtues of CAD/CALP for the carbohydrate addicted. There are many other reasons for addiction besides the rise in insulin from carbohydrates alone. All addicts cannot be painted into wellness with the same brush.

You also have to recognize that many die-hard addicts would not touch CAD/CALP with a thousand foot pole. I am one of them. For me, and many others, abstinence is what works. My insulin levels do not rise after eating artificial sweeteners. I have solid proof of it by using a glucometer.

All programs have their virtues and what can be percieved as drawbacks. A lot of it depends on how the person using the program of their choice follows it in terms of effort and commitment. It also depends on taking a good hard look at yourself in the present and your history to see what you can change to make health and sanity come your way. Some people have severe metabolic damage from a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and calorie restriction. Another diet, no matter how sound in principle, will do nothing to help them regain their health.

After watching people desperately seeking the magic bullet for two years on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that there is no magic bullet. It's trial, error and dedication and educating yourself while keeping your wits about you. For them, bouncing from diet to diet only adds to their confusion and desperation.

You're doing great with the program you've devised for yourself and tweaking in a rational manner is something we encourage. Congratulations!

Karen