Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 08:27

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1
How many are doing Keto < 20 Carbs?

Hi, Dazed1. Some of us eat a ketogenic diet, but not according to that particular standard.

There are other definitions and standards for ketogenic diets.

Here, The Charlie Foundation:

https://charliefoundation.org/learn-about-ketosis/

Here are the first two paragraphs from that page:

Getting started – what is the Ketogenic Diet?

The Ketogenic Diet, also referred to as the Ketosis Diet, or Keto for short, is a way of eating that mimics the effects of fasting. By consuming a diet rich in quality fats, adequate in protein, and low in net carbohydrates (total carbs minus fiber), the body’s metabolism begins to utilize fat as its main source of fuel, rather than carbs. This shift has profound effects on metabolism for both the sick and healthy alike. The diet shows promise for improving or reversing many neurological conditions and metabolic disorders. For the healthy, the diet represents a tool for preventing chronic disease, as well as optimizing cognition and body composition (i.e. fat loss).

What is Ketosis?

The term ketosis refers to a byproduct of the breakdown of fat into useable energy, called ketone bodies, or ketones for short. This fat can be derived directly from a diet (i.e. nutritional ketosis) or from fat stores of the body. Ketosis caused by diet is referred to as “nutritional ketosis”. Ketones are used directly by the body to power itself. This breakdown of fat into useful energy is similar to the process that dietary carbohydrates undergo in producing glucose to fuel the body. In other words, ketones are to fat what glucose is to carbohydrates. Ketosis is defined as having blood ketone levels > .5 millimolar/L.

-----

For reference, here is the first paper on the ketogenic diet:

THE THRESHOLD OF KETOGENESIS.
BY RUSSELL M. WILDER AND MALCOLM D. W1NTER.
(From the Divison of Medicine, the Mayo Clinic, Rochester.) (Received for publication, April 11, 1922.)

http://www.jbc.org/content/52/2/393.full.pdf

----

I am among those, here at this forum, who have been eating a ketogenic diet for many years. For some of us, that is now decades.

I do not eat fat bombs, nor do I eat chocolate, nor do I drink coffee. I do not add extra things to my diet. I have menu plans for grams of Protein, grams of Fat, and grams of CHO.

Many of us eat a ketogenic diet for specific health challenges, and have found that "fashionable" foods only sabotage those efforts to establish health. Chocolate and coffee, for example are known triggers for migraines and epileptic seizures, for some. Others eat very low carb because they have IBS or Crohn's and must avoid coffee, cocoa, chocolate, and various spices, nuts, etc. Yet others eat very low carb because of MS, or Parkinson's, or ALS, or Alzheimer's. Care of the nervous system, rebuilding the myelin sheath, healing intestinal permeability, reducing excitotoxicity in the brain, or healing a damaged liver are first, second, and third priority. For some of the people at this forum, the menus are a matter of living or dying.

Others have been eating a very low carb diet for so long, and have watched a lot of fads and enthusiasms come and go.

-----

A site search for this forum, using the search term "keto" is possible, using:

site:http://forum.lowcarber.org keto

Any related search term will bring up more results than most people will have time to read.
-----

Here is another excerpt from "The Charlie Foundation":

There are a variety of diets that will allow you to get into ketosis. The major differentiating factor between them all is the number of calories that come from protein, carbs and fat, which are what we call “macronutrients”, or nutrients in our food that have a caloric value. The three macronutrients differ in many ways, namely, their caloric values, as well as how the body uses them. Fat is the most calorically dense macronutrient, having 9 calories per gram, compared to 4 calories per gram for both carbs and protein. In a homeostatic state, the body utilizes fat and carbs for energy production, while it uses protein to rebuild the cells of the body. While this is generally the case, an overconsumption of protein can lead the body to break down the excess protein into glucose, resulting in the same end product as carbs.

Classic Ketogenic Diet
Modified Ketogenic Diet
MCT Oil Diet
Modified Atkins
Low Glycemic Index Diet (LGIT)
Intermittent Fasting

Best wishes to you.