#285   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-18, 09:04

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
CaliAnna...not sure I followed all that the new WW system points system sounds even more OCD with the points that my ancient history with WW! After the CNBC news story, I went to the WW FB page and there were complaints from existing customers that their total number of points were decreased. Your friend called them Daily and anytime points, but members were complaining with fewer points there was less flexibility even with more food "free". Not everyone was thrilled with the new list, but it is interesting that you could make it LC if you carefully managed fat points.

My friend wasn't thrilled with her points being lowered either, especially since she likes to indulge in alcohol regularly, and even a single glass of chianti would cost her 5 points.

I think the big problem with WW is that despite all the hype that you can eat anything you want on WW, the points each food costs are not allotted based purely on calorie content. Anything with fat or alcohol content has much higher points than the same number of calories for non-fat foods, and it costs more points to eat anything that's considered to be less healthy. That's why the olive oil points per Tbsp are lower than the butter points per Tbsp. Olive oil may have the exact same number of calories per Tbsp as butter, but the points are still lower, because they consider olive oil to be healthier for you than butter. Even with the difference in points between butter and olive oil, as my friend told me, the point allocation is still punitive for using fats of any kind. And yet, if you chose to eat ten times as many calories worth of food from the free list, it wouldn't cost you a single point.

The points in the last incarnation of WW were also punitive for foods combined into a recipe, since say for instance steamed broccoli and carrots would cost more points than the two separate steamed vegetables, even if you were eating the exact same total amount, and the exact same number of calories. When all fruit was free, you could eat as many individual pieces of fruit as you wanted without using any of your points, but combine those exact same pieces of fruit into a fruit-only smoothie, and it would cost points. Likewise, if you used a recipe from WW, the points would be higher for the ingredients when combined into a recipe, than if you added up the points per serving for the individual ingredients used in their own recipe. I don't know why - I'm assuming they were trying to steer people towards eating simple, plain, individual ingredient foods, rather than any kind taste bud titillating combined foods. My guess is that the points are probably still punitive for eating recipe combinations, and they're trying to enforce this with the extensive list of free foods.

Here's what my friend said about the WW foods (Smart Ones meals and dessert items) that they're still pushing:
Quote:
... now you pay dearly to indulge in them. 2 points for a tiny square of chocolate... Used to be you could eat a gigantic ice cream bar that only cost you one point. When they revamped the plan a couple years ago the same bar was about half the size and 4 points. They call the desserts "snack size" now.

Sadly, calling the desserts "snack size" implies that these are snacks to be indulged in between meals, not a sweet to have at the end of a meal, so WWers who are used to being able to fit dessert into their point allotment are going to expend even more points on what they'd consider to be a fitting dessert, not on some tiny snack size treat.

There's nothing wrong with most of the foods on the free list though:

Quote:
Apples
Applesauce, unsweetened
Apricots
Arrowroot
Artichoke hearts
Artichokes
Arugula
Asparagus

Bamboo shoots
Banana
Beans: including adzuki, black, broad (fava), butter, cannellini, cranberry (Roman), green, garbanzo (chickpeas), great northern, kidney, lima, lupini, mung, navy, pink, pinto, small white, snap, soy, string, wax, white
Beans, refried, fat-free, canned
Beets
Berries, mixed
Blackberries
Blueberries
Broccoli
Broccoli rabe
Broccoli slaw
Broccolini
Brussels sprouts

Cabbage: all varieties including Chinese (bok choy), Japanese, green, red, napa, savory, pickled
Calamari, grilled
Cantaloupe

Carrots
Cauliflower
Caviar
Celery
Swiss chard

Cherries
Chicken breast, ground, 99% fat-free
Chicken breast or tenderloin, skinless, boneless or with bone

Clementines
Coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots), packaged
Collards

Corn, baby (ears), white, yellow, kernels, on the cob
Cranberries
Cucumber

Daikon
Dates, fresh
Dragon fruit

Edamame, in pods or shelled
Egg substitutes
Egg whites

Eggplant
Eggs, whole, including yolks
Endive
Escarole

Fennel (anise, sweet anise, or finocchio)
Figs
Fish: anchovies, arctic char, bluefish, branzino (sea bass), butterfish, carp, catfish, cod, drum, eel, flounder, grouper, haddock, halibut, herring, mackerel, mahimahi (dolphinfish), monkfish, orange roughy, perch, pike, pollack, pompano, rainbow trout (steelhead), rockfish, roe, sablefish (including smoked), salmon (all varieties), salmon, smoked (lox), sardines, sea bass, smelt, snapper, sole, striped bass, striped mullet, sturgeon (including smoked); white sucker, sunfish (pumpkinseed), swordfish, tilapia, tilefish, tuna (all varieties), turbot, whitefish (including smoked), whitefish and pike (store-bought), whiting
Fish fillet, grilled with lemon pepper

Fruit cocktail
Fruit cup, unsweetened
Fruit salad
Fruit, unsweetened

Garlic
Ginger root

Grapefruit
Grapes
Greens: beet, collard, dandelion, kale, mustard, turnip
Greens, mixed baby

Guavas
Guavas, strawberry

Hearts of palm (palmetto)
Honeydew melon
Jackfruit
Jerk chicken breast
Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes)
Jicama (yam bean)

Kiwifruit
Kohlrabi
Kumquats

Leeks
Lemon

Lemon zest
Lentils
Lettuce, all varieties
Lime
Lime zest

Litchis (lychees)

Mangoes
Melon balls
Mung bean sprouts
Mung dal
Mushroom caps
Mushrooms: all varieties including brown, button, crimini, Italian, portabella, shiitake

Nectarine
Nori seaweed

Okra
Onions
Oranges: all varieties including blood

Papayas
Parsley
Passion fruit
Pea shoots
Peaches
Peapods, black-eye
Pears
Peas and carrots
Peas: black-eyed, chickpeas (garbanzo), cowpeas (blackeyes, crowder, southern), young pods with seeds, green, pigeon, snow (Chinese pea pods); split, sugar snap
Peppers, all varieties
Pepperoncini
Persimmons
Pickles, unsweetened
Pico de gallo
Pimientos, canned
Pineapple
Plumcots (pluots)
Plums
Pomegranate seeds
Pomegranates
Pomelo (pummelo)
Pumpkin
Pumpkin puree

Radicchio
Radishes
Raspberries

Rutabagas

Salad, mixed greens
Salad, side, without dressing, fast food

Salad, three-bean
Salad, tossed, without dressing
Salsa verde
Salsa, fat free
Salsa, fat free; gluten-free

Sashimi
Satay, chicken, without peanut sauce
Satsuma mandarin
Sauerkraut
Scallions
Seaweed
Shallots

Shellfish: abalone, clams, crab (including Alaska king, blue, dungeness, lump crabmeat, queen) crayfish, cuttlefish, lobster (including spiny lobster), mussels, octopus, oysters, scallops, shrimp, squid
Spinach

Sprouts, including alfalfa, bean, lentil
Squash, summer (all varieties including zucchini)
Squash, winter (all varieties including spaghetti)
Starfruit (carambola)
Strawberries
Succotash

Tangelo
Tangerine
Taro
Tofu, all varieties
Tofu, smoked
Tomatillos
Tomato puree
Tomato sauce
Tomatoes: all varieties including plum, grape, cherry
Turkey breast, ground, 99% fat-free
Turkey breast or tenderloin, skinless, boneless or with bone
Turkey breast, skinless, smoked
Turnips

Vegetable sticks
Vegetables, mixed
Vegetables, stir fry, without sauce

Water chestnuts
Watercress
Watermelon

Yogurt, Greek, plain, nonfat, unsweetened
Yogurt, plain, nonfat, unsweetened
Yogurt, soy, plain

As you can see, many of them are LC foods, and if you avoided the higher sugar fruit and the starchy veggies on that list, and stuck to only low carb foods on that list (without going overboard on the LC veggies), then used every single one of your points for added fats, you could do a LC version of WW these days. (somehow, I missed seeing the whole eggs when I first read the list - since those are free, that makes this version even more doable on LC) That was not the case a couple of years ago, when the only free food was fruit, and by the time you used a bunch of your points for LC friendly veggies and meats, any added fats cost far too many points to eat an adequate amount to do LC. I remember one LCer saying a while back that she did LC on WW for years, but finally had to quit WW when they basically starved her out by reallocating points on foods in such a way that she couldn't get enough LC food to continue.

One thing that really bothers me about WW is that they change it every year - what's free, what requires you spend your points, and reallocate how many points you're allotted, or how many points any individual food is worth. That's the furthest I can imagine from a lifetime way of eating, if you have to completely revamp your eating pattern every year, or at least figure out how to accommodate whatever changes they've instituted into your eating pattern. That's also one of the things I like most about LC - Even with all the different versions of LC out there, the principle stays the same - find your carb/protein/fat level, and stick to that unless you're not happy with the result, then (and only then) adjust as needed, not because some weight loss corporation told you that you had to do it their way.