#171   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

*blink*
Umm... cooking changes food on a cellular level. That's why we cook it. It makes it easier to chew, it refolds the proteins, it destroys bacteria and parasites, it breaks down cell walls in veggies so they're easier to chew and we get more vitamins and minerals out of them. There's nothing un-paleo about cooking since we've been doing it for at least 140k years, maybe much much longer.

Cooking is cooking. You just get different results at different temperatures. Usually people get upset over cooking because the temperatures get too high and it forms HCAs and stuff. But that happens less in SV. In fact, because you have such precise control over temperature you tend to keep it much lower. Mutagens don't form so much at lower temperatures. And because everything is packed in close there's no water or air for vitamins to dissipate into.

You're objecting to the mild vacuum? The Foodsaver is like 24" inches of mercury pressure, Sea Level is 29". I'm not sure how it translate but you can probably get that much pressure from going up in the Rockies at a high altitude. I hope you don't eat any canned food. They're sealed in a vacuum that's probably much better one than you can get in your kitchen with a foodsaver, or sucking the air out with a straw like Allison does. Don't use any jars either, pickles or other things are also contained in vacuum jars. And you'd better avoid eating out since you're almost certainly eating sous vide stuff done with commercial grade vacuum sealers.

If I recall correctly, you like to eat out? Well, sous vide is used extensively in restaurants. In fact, the best restaurants in America using sous vide extensively. In France it's old news, they've been using sous vide cooking for 20 years. In one article I read they described that the restaurant you're paying $30-$100 for your main course, it might have been made 3-4 weeks ago sous vide style and then frozen. It sounds gross but the food stays really pristine when it is kept from oxygen (They have better vacuum sealers than we do). Then before the crowds arrive the food goes back in the water bath to be reheated to serving temperature and quickly finished in a pan. In chain restaurants, like TGI Fridays and Chili's, the kitchen staff nowadays just reassembles all the stuff they get sous vide and frozen.

The vacuum in sous vide especially with home gadgets is pretty mild, it's only purpose really is to keep the food from floating and keep the air from insulating the food so the heat is better distributed. In fact, it doesn't really do a very good job and I generally have to put something on top to submerge my bags.

The only marginal criticism I have of SV is that it is cooking in a plastic bag. But the research I've done is that the bags used are fine and don't leach any bad chemicals.

I could understand someone who is very strictly following paleo rejecting it because of the plastic bags but I suggested this method of cooking for you because I know you're time and space restricted and you're having issues staying on low carb, much less paleo. If it isn't for you, then it isn't. It was a suggestion. I don't think anyone roasting an antelope on a spit over an open flame would probably go for it, but last I checked, few people were actually THAT paleo!