Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 19:41
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, I'm realizing it's not for home cooking... yet.

Sous Vide (wrote about it in a post a month or so ago) is great, and there ARE things you can do to approximate, if you're willing to spend the time and some money. Not thousands.

Quote:
the eggs cooked at a precise temperature. You don't need a vacuum sealer for that since eggs have their own packaging. But if you had a good oven you could put the eggs in a water bath and set the oven temperature for what you want. I don't think my oven can be turned down low enough.

That was 64.5 CELSIUS - not Farenheit! That would be 148 F. - which makes sense since most Sous Vide is cooked at 140 F or above. It's the under 140 F cooking (if held for too long a time) that can lead to trouble.

That Sharp Convection/Microwave I wrote about earlier would definitely work since it's also a slow cooker that will go as low as 140 for up to 4 hours. The water bath part is a bit trickier, since the water temp would probably not match the temp of the air in the oven - but it's worth playing with. Think I'll try that with some eggs this week.

As for things like steak, you don't even need a vacuum sealer (though I have one, and a probe thermometer that might work for that).

You can do a type of Sous Vide by heating fat like Suet to, say, 130 F for 'rare' - and completely submerging a steak in it until the steak reaches that temp. It would be unbelievably juicy and uniformly cooked from end to end. If you flavored the oil with garlic, for instance........ YUM. Would work for other meats and vegetables as well.

Lisa