View Single Post
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 19:36
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

The biggest thing that's changed in my daily eating pattern so far is the amount of meat & eggs I'm downing. I used to eat two whole fried eggs and a large-ish sausage patty for breakfast, one or two McDoubles (plain, and toss the bun) for lunch, and a large chunk of meat/fish/poultry for dinner, plus (before I tried to cut dairy) a few ounces of cheese throughout the day. For the past week, my meals have looked more like this:

Breakfast most days this week:

--2 egg yolks fried in butter (haven't figured out yet how to use the whites--I'm sure my dog has a suggestion )
--a tiny (around half an ounce raw) patty of sausage fried in lard.
--coffee with heavy whipping cream (LOTS of both)

Snack:
--Wasa bread, 1 slice (this feels sooo weird after two years of strict LC) slathered with cream cheese.

Lunch:
--2 oz havarti
--Or, if I'm having a low-protein dinner, one McDouble, plain, no bun.

Dinner: Depends on how much protein I had at lunch. Dinners I've had this week include:

--Ham, three to four ounces, with a hunk of brie cheese and a small mound of mashed potatoes (left over from Easter dinner) with butter;

--Two hard-boiled eggs with mayonnaise, a couple of pickles, and a slice of no-wheat pumpernickel with liverwurst;

--A bowl of kale and meatball (pork & beef) soup;

--Sushi--with the rice! (Oh, man oh man; it was wonderful...) One of the items was fish roe with horseradish cream sauce. Yum!

I'm sure this sounds like an awfully dull menu to some folks, but it's keeping me pretty satisfied. Most of my dinners this week have been more or less buffet-style, as in a plate of deli meats and cheeses and pickles, along with a WASA cracker or a slice of dark, dense rye pumpernickel.

Around the middle of the week I realized that this was the way my relatives in (the former) East Germany ate when we visited them in the 1970s. Boiled eggs and maybe a bit of bread for breakfast. A buffet-style "lunch" (Mittagessen) with jellied meats/fish, dark bread, cheeses, various pickles/condiments, and obscure (to me) German charcuterie. A light dinner of a broth and potatoes, or maybe a chunky vegetable salad (I remember WAY too many peas for my picky, little-girl palate!) with some cheese. It was fairly rare to have what we Americans think of a standard dinner plate with a slab of meat and sides of starch & veggies, followed by dessert. Those kinds of meals were, as I recall, for special occasions, and usually happened at restaurants.

Remembering all this has made me eager to read Kwasniewski's books. I'll bet some of the menus will look familiar. (I've ordered Optimal Nutrition; hope it doesn't take forever to get here.)