View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 12:59

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have been following Mittleman's Slow Burn program. (See his book: Slow Burn). He is one of the best ultramarthoner (really ultra - 6-day races, coast to coast races etc.) of the world, and having one of the stirctest "LC" diet. Strict not in numbers but for example in banning sweets (not only sugar, but sweeteners, and milk, and fruit, etc.). He is sharing his diet, so you can see if you like it. I liked it a lot, so adapted it almost in 100%. With fantastic results. Improving speed, endurance, even weight training performance - meanwhile losing fat and reshaping my body. It is NOT a weight loss diet, but a long distance performance improving way of eating.
He gives detailed training programs too.

I usually have 120-140 gr fat, 50-60 net carbs, 120-140 gr protein. On my long run (2-3 hours) days too. I prefer to run on empty stomach, having some green vegetable drinks (a la Mittleman) if the weather is hot.

Here you can read a little preview:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...3&postcount=304
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...5&postcount=321

P.S.: LONG LIVE GALLOWAY! LONG LIVE BINGHAM!!!!! I got the courage from Bingham, the training plan from Galloway .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman

I would suspect that it does hurt performance, but I have no inclination to test this on myself, mostly because the human body is not physically or chemically adapted for long-distance running. While I do believe that low-carb makes for a healthier anything (runner, jumper, juggler, or couch potato), perhaps an unnatural activity requires and unnatural diet (high carb)?
Only one remark. From the 160,000 calories stored in the body only about 2500 some from sugar, and 134,500 from fat. You have enough CARBS only to run around 18-20 miles, while you have enough FAT to run across America. So maybe the human body WAS designed for endurance, only we have forgot how to use the fat instead of carbs.
You can find many thoughts about this in both Mittleman's or Galloway's books. Both gives step by step advices how to change your running from carb fuel mode to fat fuel mode.

Adaptation. Human body is able to adapt to "unnatural activities" on high mountains, in deep ocean, in hot desert, in extreme cold, in zero gravity.... Running a couple of miles on FAT is nothing compared to those .

Have wonderful long weekend runs for all of you . I have to run .

Eva