#7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 22:18

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightowlRS
6 weeks ago I started a lifting routine at the gym.
I started to notice appearance results/muscle definition, and even increased how much I could lift.

I'm 30-40 lbs overweight and I lost maybe 1-2 lbs during those 6 weeks of cardio/lifting. I know some of it might be muscle gain. But I really felt like I need to focus more on fat burning until I'm considered fit. So a week ago I decided to go into Ketosis.

Well, I noticed that my cardio exercises like treadmill has actually improved, (I can literally go forever now.. lol) but my lifting on weights decreased drastically. I lift 20-50 lbs less than what I did a week ago...

I read an article that says eating 20-25g of carbs 30 mins before a workout will give me the burst energy I need, and still keep me in Ketosis - I am wondering has anyone lifted on a Ketogenic diet? What did you eat to keep your strength up?

Thanks in advance!

One thing you dont tell us is how long you have been on the keto way of life for. This is quite important as it has an effect on the answers.

I lift 3 x a week, plus crossfit 3x a week. I can safely say that doing a targeted ketogenic diet is not necessary for someone in our position of trying to loose weight.

What I have found with this way of eating however, is that there is a significant delay in food eaten to performance. ie. I now eat essentially a day in advance. So I eat on sunday for my workouts on monday, and so on down the week. If I try to just eat on monday for monday's workouts it does not work.

You can get a good quick hit from something like coffee and cream or bullet proof coffee, both are stacked full of energy and a good caffine slug.

The reason I asked about legth of time on keto, is that it takes a good 6 weeks to become adapted to fats, this does not include starting a new regime which will also take time to adapt to.

You will find that if you stick to it you will have a good amount of energy and no suger crash so you can make you lifting sessions longer. At the start you may want slightly longer between sets to allow you muscles to regaine their energy.