#232   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 10:59

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliean
Guess i'm a newbie with only two years keto but have been checking blood ketones, blood glucose, urine strips, and ketonix breath meter the whole time.

Fbg always around 105. Direct relationship to amount of protein eaten. When i was restricting protein to 70 grams and eating the rest fat my fbg was in the 80s..

Your experience seems to jive with what I've read/heard from Dr. Rosdale. He was perhaps the first "low carb doctor" to insist excess protein on LC diet is bad.

He says excess protein acts sort of like sugar. It keeps you from becoming fully fat adapted, and dependent upon glucose for fuel. And since you're not eating much glucose on an LC diet, your body, (within context of high protein intake) resorts to gluconeogensis for glucose.

Whereas eating just "adequate" protein, and getting your calories mostly from FAT, prevents this.

I do eat a lot of protein. A holdover from my bodybuilding days. I have an irrational fear that my muscles will melt away with lower protein.

But what the heck...I need to try this.

A high fat version of LC, rather than high protein.

I think it might also help "stabilize me" a bit mentally. My tendency towards hypoglycemic-like "attacks" is MUCH better on my current version of LC than it is on higher carb diets. But I feel like it could be even better.

I recall that it really struck me as interesting when Jimmy Moore said that a truly keto diet made his occasional "irritability issues" go away.

Of course anyone who suffers from hypo attacks know that feeling irritable is perhaps the MAIN symptom of such attacks.