View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 09:19

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I used to have severe bursitis and also moderate arthritis in my fingers (osteo) so I don't know if the following applies to you - check with your doc.

Part 1:

I get my vitamins at Life Extension http://www.lef.org and they have doctors that do not dispense medical advice but do supply general information. I asked via e-mail if there is anything I can do about the condition (I prefer to try alternative treatments before going to the doctors). He recommended the Arthritis/Bursitis diet:

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats)
* Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (high in arachidonic acid)
* Egg yolks (high in arachidonic acid)
* Pasta (high glycemic index)
* Juices (high glycemic index)
* Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
* White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye or whole wheat)
* Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
* Oatmeal
* Fresh fruits and vegetables
* Olives and olive oil
* Peanuts and other nuts
* Whey proteins

Then he continued to recommend supplements. I thought it was pretty good that a nutritional supplement company recommended diet first. Plus I was already taking SAMe, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM.

I was already low glycemic, so I followed the rest of the advice.

The result?

An 80-90% decrease in pain. Not all better, but manageable.

Part 2:

Pulsed Electromgnetic Field Therapy http://pemft.info/science.html got rid of the rest of the pain, and in the long run paid for itself in the supplements I'm not taking.

I'm still following the diet though, except I have added fat (but not the egg yolks) back in.

So now I'm completely pain free. Would the PEMFT device have fixed it without changing the diet? It's too late to tell.

Like I said, my situation is not the same as yours, and I'm not a doctor so I'm not trying to give any medical advice.

B