#2   ^
Old Fri, May-26-06, 20:09

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Ah, menopause. I swear, if it weren't for shoe shopping, I'd rather be a man.

Last summer I gained 20 pounds (probably 25 now) in a couple months with no change in diet or exercise. Well, maybe I was even MORE strict.

Nothing has taken it off. I'm on a ton of supplements, including DHEA and progesterone. Details in my journal. These were prescribed by the Women-to-Women Center here in Maine (nationally renowned center for women's health).

The Nurse Practioner there wants me to follow Schwarzbein and eat 90 carbs a day! After years of 20 grams, that's just way too much and I'll put on ANOTHER 20 pounds before leveling out.

So what's a girl to do?

Has anyone been through the weight gain at menopause and got it off again? How? Do supplements help? More exercise? Different exercise? More carbs? Fewer carbs? More fat? Less fat?

Bawdy,

I've just started having some nasty symptoms of perimenopause myself and have been avidly reading the womentowomen website.....I like their approach and pretty much paralleling their "personal plan" for myself.

My impression, however, is that they are advocators of Schwarzbein, and while it is good that they are pro LC in treating your symptoms, I don't think you have to switch LC plans to receive maximum benefit from their care.

You've been LCing for a long time, IMO, eat at the carb level that works best for you, and stay away from foods that you know are bad and/or don't sit well with your body, make sure you get your 4-6 servings of veggies/fruit per day.

From reading your journal, it doesn't sound like that your hormones are under control -- and that is probably going to have to happen first before the battle with the weight gain will be more manageable.

Supplements will give you additional support...there is a list of vitamins/minerals the women to women clinic recommends right on their website.

As far as exercise, I abandoned my treadmil for a Rebounder -- extra benefits for those battling menopause with this specific form of exercise, including the increased weight gain.

I'm just beginning this darn trek of now cursing that I am a woman, so if I didn't provide anything helpful to you, at least know that I share your sympathy in that being hormonally imbalanced really does SUCK.