View Single Post
  #171   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 14:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I survived, but just barely. The official results are not in, but by my phone app I clocked in at around 69 minutes. That is slower than last year and better than 2016. Good enough.

It didn't help that my weight is several pounds up from last year, but the big problem today was heat. It was even warmer than they originally forecast. It was 80 degrees by the time the race finished. I ran the entire distance. I was never out of breath and my muscles were willing. I didn't count on the radiator blowing steam for the last 5K. I hydrated before the race and grabbed water and the pit stops along the way. I was dressed appropriately for the heat; I just overheated anyway. For mile 5 & 6 the pace was slow; I just kept moving. The good news is that I was not one of the many medical emergencies that I witnessed along the way, although about 15 minutes after the race I even got a little wobbly. Thankfully the dizzy spell didn't last long.

It has been such a cool spring. I didn't do one workout in the heat. So all things considered, I'm happy with the results of the day. I did learn a big lesson. I didn't do so well running at this weight for such a long distance in the heat. I don't foresee myself signing up for any such events in the Virginia summer. Kel and I are still planning on doing this race next April. My goal, pure and simple, is to run the 2019 10K weighing less than 200 pounds. I was physically fit for this race. I do think that I did enough training. But I also think that my bonus weight this year was a factor in addition to the heat.

BTW: KETO MAN won by a long shot. The college kids, dressed in black, roasted in the sun worse than I did. After the event we went out to lunch with the parent of Kel's BF. They had come down to cheer on their son in his first ever 10K. Once fed and hydrated we were all back to our usual selves. My food choice was a bunless burger, green beans, and lots and lots of water. I'll post the official results when I know them.