Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 09:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Berkely
All of these suggestions, all of these tricks, tips and machinations are in the service of giving us strategies to battle a food giant run amok. Worse, they suggest that our own weaknesses are to blame for the problem. I am completely bewildered by the fact that the responsibility of the food industry continues to be ignored. Its role in creating our current environment is so huge, so all-encompassing, that its invisibility in this discussion is almost incomprehensible.

I agree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Berkely
Articles and books (including mine) suggest myriad ways for you to do the hard work of kicking food. Clean all the food out of your house. Stay out of contact with food. Change your thoughts. Get hypnotized. Exercise until your knee cartilage falls to shreds. Get therapy. Change your stress level. Become a better person. Buy a journal and write, write, write. Record every shred of every morsel that passes your lips.

I’m not suggesting that these are bad strategies, but we need them mainly because those who produce our food have not asked to be responsible for its effects. Until society gets mad about that, nothing will change. Very few individuals (you being the exceptions, dear readers) are strong enough to oppose the mass behaviors of an entire culture.

Sad, but true also. I think for me it was coming out of my fog about my own issues, was what helped me to stop my previously bad behaviors around food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Berkley
Perhaps our little community is far more important than we believed. Like a snowball picking up size as it rolls, our tiny individual voices have the potential to become big and booming. Once we get the volume, I hope we can direct it outward. Time to stop yelling at ourselves and bemoaning our weaknesses. Time to fix our sights on those who are drowning us, our children and our nations’ health in a salty, fatty, sweet sea of food.

Yes...I think that as the successful maintenance community grows, as it is growing lately...I too see our voices as becoming "big and booming"...and right now I can only hope that we can have an impact on other's struggles.

WhileI haven't read the book itself, the concept of it draws me in. Yes, I can see how salt, fat and sugar, can drive me to overeat. I have experienced this when I cooked a soup that ended up being too salty as I smacked my lips together and found myself going for seconds.
My first spoken words were "mo' mo' ceem cheeze...peeez!" I was 2 yrs old!!

I am a huge proponent of managing our internal dialog. Our chatter can and does push us to make choices that our rational minds would not make. I do think that learning to separate the chatter from our true intentions is a skill set that can be learned. To think that we have no control over our minds, is to give into the mindless chatter... I will not do that to myself any longer as my chatter can be very negative and destructive.