Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePants
Nancy, I started with heavy flows, hot flashes etc. One of the problems with Atkins and possibly all low carb programs is that as we lose fat, we also get estrogen that is stored in those same cells released and anything might happen. Folks who stopped having hot flashes, started, folks who had PCOS, become regular and some ladies get PMS, etc.
So if your experiencing any Menopause symptoms it might just be the diet.

Just a little clarification from my p.o.v. of 10 years of LC, reading and researching health and surviving a sudden and rapid menopausal onset:
the most common heads-up for non-menopausal, non-PCOS, non-serious PMS, regular menses (for lack of a better term?) ladies is breakthrough or irregular bleeding/cycle - even if on BCPs - while going into ketosis, pretty much. It tends to stabilize along with a regular LC lifestyle, i.e., returns to regularly scheduled cycles, after a couple of months or so. Of course, if you become a yoyo LCer, it'll probably be back, every time you yoyo...

Severe ongoing PMS is NOT a result of LC or ketosis, but a symptom that should be looked at for itself, as pointed out by Nancy. Ketosis is a natural condition all humans (LC or not) are going in and out of all day, if the liver is functioning normally and LC is a trigger for better overall health, not worse...generally speaking!