Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 13:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/240/200 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7
I enjoy road biking and try to ride everyday during the summer. I try to do rides of 30 - 60 miles at least 3 times weekly. I began a low carb diet (Atkins) in April and limited my ride times and distances. I have begun riding longer distances and eating Oh Yeah protein bars to ensure that I do not "bonk" during the ride. Since, my weight loss has seemed to have stalled, I suspect the additonal protein bars may be the culprit. Does anyone have low carb suggestions to fuel by 3 - 4 hours bike rides ???
Thanks !!

I have had the same problem of bonking during a ride of more than an hour or so. I think I have found a solution, but I wanted to run it by you guys and see what everyone thought.
Here is yesterday's ride and what I did.
I eat a LC breakfast before riding (2 eggs scrambled with cheese)
I have found that at about 45 minutes in I need something to prevent bonk. At this point I will eat a banana. so about 45 minutes in there was a Starbucks. I had a coffee with half and half (no sugar) and my banana.
After about an hour and half, I was getting hungry so I ate some mixed nuts I had packed (1/4 cup of salted pecans, pistachios, and salted almonds)
After about another 40 minutes or so I was feeling a little tired so I ate a second banana.
Finished the ride 3 hours total time, 31.4 miles and 1854 feet of vertical climb. I felt good and felt like I could have kept riding
My concern is that the bananas have a lot of carbs, but since I ate them during exercise, do I really have to worry about the carbs in them? I'm thinking I burned all of them off while pedaling.
What do you guys think?