View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 19:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251.9/179.8/160 Female 5'6 inches
BF:43%/40%/31%/28.8%
Progress: 78%

Thanks everyone for their imput. I understand (especially for those who have succeeded) that you can take the positives and outweight the negatives, and for right now, i'm trying to stay positive and i am sticking with it. The lack of interest in the food i can eat being a huge help to that i suppose. But as quoted in my original post that only gives a factual example to the reason people lose weight on L/C by not being interested in food, you eat less therefore lose weight.

Quote:
Wow. I'm surprised you can only find 8 items out of about 100 allowed food items that you can afford.~Livinright

I'm not sure where this list of 100 things for "induction" is, i've even included things like cheeses and almonds into my induction despite that being a "second rung/phase2" allowance just to help me not cheat on carb quantities.

I mostly was refering to meat options. I'm on a ham, bacon, chicken, porkchop rotation (i can HAVE hamburger meat that is affordable but i hate it unless it's hidden in foods like pasta or the like, and i can not afford delicious seafood/steak etc.) in addition i eat cheese as i said, almonds, greens and tomatoes (i have never liked onions peppers or mushrooms ever..) that adds up to.. 8 things. (sure the greens are different but eventually they all taste the same... a hot green or cold green). So yes i eat 8 affordable things.

Quote:
It was before my atkins days. But think about it. If memory serves there are around 300 calories in a mars bar x 3 so I was eating 900 calories a day - how come i didnt lose any weight???~Ojoj

i would assume that you didn't lose weight because a. your body probably needed more than 900 calories to survive (the average low calorie diet is more like 1200-1500 of healthy foods) and b. because you were starving yourself your body stored every single gram of bad things in that candy bar for later use. I'm very very happy L/C worked for you (i just love your hair by the way) and i HOPE with all my hopes it works for me. But i don't have to kid myself. When i tried low cal the only thing that kept me from succeeding was me. I did not have the will-power back then to not sneak that hunny bun or that cappuchino or that pile of buffet bacon. The same can happen on L/C. I can break down and dive into a buffet dessert bar head first if i let that self-control go. As i've gotten older, and as my body (and i) have become so lazy, i was only eating once a day because that's probably all i needed in calories/carbs whatever to live each day (as i wasn't gaining extra weight, i just wasn't losing either). L/C only worries me in this sense because i'm basically BACK to where i started. The first 3-4 days of Atkins i was ravenous! i wanted to literally eat the house down. (i'm assuming that was carb shock). After the l/c flu dissipated i am now only ever hungry 1x a day. Everything i've read even pro-l/c articles say that if you consume more calories than you need you will not lose weight because it will burn the fats you are eating before buring your reserves. In addition if you consume to few you will STORE it as FAT that isnt getting burned. Well if i only needed (for example) 1000 calories before to maintain my weight, and i now eat 1200 calories a day, won't i gain weight even if it's without carbs or vise versa if i need 1000 calories but am only eating 300 or 400 won't my body go into starvation mode and save it as fat? I think so.

Quote:
Carbs only make you pump out more insulin, which makes you hungrier, so you keep eating~Liz53

If this is true then why before i started l/c and was eating carbs did i not eat more than 1x a day? maybe the actual science is true, but for me this is not a true statement. I was and am still hardly EVER hungry, i usually just got a headache or because i had to cook dinner for my husband realized "oh i haven't eatten, i better do that."

Thanks Nancy LC for the link to the recipes (most of which though) seems like they are for me far in the future rungs but i will try to scan through it and see if i can find something.

Fire Dancer - the main reason i want to lose weight is because after 4 years of trying my husband and i went to the doctor and we were given the "first things first" quit smoking and lose weight lecture. We quit smoking in July (woot!) and we started our weightloss after xmas 2012, i hope so badly one day i'll be complainging about baby fat at least then i'll have a beautiful bundle of joy to blame for all these stretch marks i currently have no excuse for lol! Also, congrats and i wish you luck i hope to be a success story soon .

M Levac thanks for all the information (was kinda overwhelming and long winded (as in information was given that wasn't needed to get to the point, my advice on your "book" would be to get to the point quicker or people will consider it "bad instruction".) I do think you are right though. That our parents habits do play a small part it in. My parents ate TERRIBLE they ate all the junk food in the world our house was always filled with snack cakes, chips, sugary cereals etc, but they both were SKINNY as sticks.. like wise my grandparents on both sides ate the same horrible way, SKINNY as sticks as well. But i don't buy those things. I don't really have a taste for many sweets usually (atkins has made that sweet tooth worse than it ever was in my life.) but if their bad habits transfered to me, it was just the metabolizm of a walrus that i got switched at birth lol.

Femur - you are right, there are many many websites for paleo/body builder sites (i just found them in passing) that are actually called the "eat once a day" diet. In addition some of them don't eat but maybe 1-3x a week, they all do lose weight though, but build massive muscle because they do eat mostly meat. I don't know enough about it to give expert analysis like i said just found it in passing. The less you eat =weight loss (at least in the begining). As all diets (even bad for you ones) you will stall, and maintain, because your body learns what to do with this new process. I fear and science tells me if i eat more calories than my body needs to burn whether in carbs/fats or whatever, i will not lose weight and may even gain weight.

It's like after that guy did the "super-size me" movie and ate all that Mc'ds and got really unhealthy, another guy did the same exact thing only he ordered a "NORMAL" portion of food, not everything giant size, and he actually lost weight, so it's all on what you need into import in order to properly export.