#35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 21:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 116/110/110 Female 5"1'
BF:
Progress:
Default Sugar Sensitive and Radiant Recovery

Hi, Maria,

For me, eating within an hour of getting up is important; I'm a blood-sugar crasher, and can be volatile if I go much more than an hour. I also work out first thing, and get by eating a small snack, usually a homemade, low-sugar energy bar (fruit sweetened), or 1/2 peanut butter on whole wheat, or the like. This helps keep the edge off, and powers my weight training, cardio or the like. As soon as I get home, I eat a full breakfast.

Kathleen and others on RR said this approach was "not Step 1 compliant," so for awhile, I drank a full protein shake before lifting weights and swimming. I'm surprised I never barfed during a workout! I'm now back to the small snack method, and that works just fine! I don't need Kathleen or anyone else's approval.

It sounds like you've already begun to get some negative feedback from the forum. Like Erin and Seejay, I recommend you read--really read-- the most recent book. If you have a good breakfast in place, GREAT! Move on. Find out what works for you and ignore the forum feedback that you're doing something "wrong." I do agree with comments about why it is good to go slow: we tend to want to fix things overnight, and making permanent change takes time. Still, if you are doing something well, are confident in that, then move on.

For me, I've found that what works is three meals a day with high-quality protein, lots of green veggies, some browns (not nearly the quantity RR suggests), some fruit with meals if I feel like it. When my workouts are more intense, I add a protein/whole grain snack. I'm not currently doing the potato, and am fine--I think the light box I began using in November is helping my mood more than anything.

I agree with Erin: Kathleen should be in therapy herself--I believe the term "control freak" applies, and the way she treats people (except those who kowtow to her) is incredibly disrespectful and harmful. Some of the things she said in private e-mails to me (after I told her to stop sending me e-mails) were unbelievable! If you can think for yourself, and question anything about RR, expect this: 1) the first time, you'll get a polite but firm correction from people on the forum, possible the moderator, and possibly Kathleen; 2) the second, you'll be told how into your addiction you are or worse; 3) the third, your post likely will be "moderated" and you may be told in a private e-mail what a failure you are, despite having great potential. She may even say something like, "I expected you to respond in this way," should you defend yourself. (I gave that up immediately, and she HATED that I would not argue with her--I knew no matter what I said she'd see it as evidence of how screwed up I was).

Anyway, like others, I agree that the basic program is terrific for sugar sensitives--but the forum is completely toxic unless you agree with them 100%.