#45   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 13:22

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkorn
I think it isn't that researchers are clinging to an incorrect model, I think they are confused. We don't even understand how DNA works, we still likely haven't identified all of the substances that are vitamins, beneficial enzymes or plant chemicals. So its a mystery, and the best way to solve a mystery is the way a Sherlock Holmes novel used to do it. According to that fictional detective, "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, no mater how improbable, must be the truth." So what we need to do is eliminate all the choices that can not be correct, look at the weight gain research, and use the remaining possible causes of obesity to try to explain it.

You are correct that those of us who have health problems from a bad diet need special care. However, I would point out that whole wheat really isn't whole wheat. In order to contain the vitamins, minerals and plant chemicals that are similar to fruits and vegetables, it has to be labeled 100% whole wheat. This is removed even in products labeled whole wheat because it extends shelf life. Without this oil removed, bread spoils just like fruits and vegetables. One of the problems discovered in people with both obesity and allergies is that they tend to have vitamin deficiencies. Obesity increases the probability that you will have allergies, and I think diet nutrient deficiency is a contributor to both.

It is fine if you don't want to eat grains, there is really no need. We didn't eat grains for the vast majority of human history. However, if you accept the hypothesis that poor nutrition increases hunger, you should eat the food with the highest nutrient content. Fruits and vegetables produced without chemical fertilizers have higher nutrient contents, as do cold pressed oils, wild caught fish, and organic grass fed meats.

Heh, you're the one who said something about regulation. Experts are not only confused, but explaining away results that don't support their original hypothoses.

I believe that wheat and sugar may leech vitamins from our bodies.

I WANT to eat grain. I LOVE bread, cakes, muffins, pasta . . . all SO good. Howeve, it's to the point now that even steel cut oats, hell, even a small portion of potato leek soup . . . even SOY SAUCE that has wheat in it sets a hunger off in me which is crazy. I know I will never be able to eat wheat, rice, oats, corn, etc. again. All grains I've tried have that effect on me. And I don't think I'm alone -- and maybe if the confused researchers actually started looking at their results rather than trying to explain them away, we could move our country to a healthier way of life. But since there is HUGE $$ on the line for not doing that, I don't expect changes any time soon.

It's not that I "don't want to" eat grains. It makes me ill. Whether it's the same as it was 10,000 years ago when we started farming it or not is actually irrelevant as is whether the wheat is whole or not -- what we eat is what we have NOW and available to us.

I seriously do understand about macronutrients in food -- most people here probably already have read everything they can get their hands on regarding that. Hah, you're talking to the food obsessed!