View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-18, 19:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Another issue with LC and alcohol is that alcohol inhibits your liver from keeping your blood sugar at a normal level, and you can get a pretty massive crash. This has happened to me when I've drank on an empty stomach and/or didn't eat anything for a long time afterwards, and/or just too few carbs. It's not fun. I was weak, shaky, dizzy and sure I was about to vomit. My glucometer readings were very low, once it was 2.4 mmol/L (44 mg/dL). I don't have any problems when I balance it out with some food.

I wasn't hung over, BTW. It was never a huge amount of alcohol. I had no headache and as soon as I ate something to get my sugar up, I felt 100% better within minutes.

It's not so bad in maintenance, but it's kinda not conducive to weight loss if you have to knock back a pound of wings and a salad in addition to large quantities of empty calories in alcohol. Too high carb and too much food, and you won't lose fat and may even gain. Too low carb and too little food, and your blood sugar can get dangerously low.

Just something to watch out for.