View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 13:46

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I see a lot of facebook keto groups that define a ketogenic diet as having less than 20 net carbs. So by that measure, at 24 grams the Bernstein diet certainly qualifies. But yeah, like Nancy says, if you're not in ketosis while eating at that level, that isn't a ketogenic diet for you.

I would say keto is the "word" for the moment. I see young fitness-focused people saying things like "Atkins is for overweight middle-aged women" and keto is for athletes and such, and some people who even seem to distinguish keto from Atkins by saying that keto has enough protein to build muscle, and Atkins is high fat, for people who don't care whether they lose as much muscle as fat. A lot of people are calling something indistinguishable from Atkins "keto", and then bad-mouthing Atkins.

Somehow we have "nutritional ketosis" with people distinguishing that from Atkins, when "benign dietary ketosis" was there all along. Nothing new under the sun, every low carb approach, high fat, high protein, moderate both, etc. can be supported from the original Atkins books.