View Single Post
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-01, 09:54

Plan: none
Stats: 70/70/65
BF:
Progress:
Default Possible cause of Stalls.

Hi, I have been on the Atkins for almost a week now. In his book he recommends eating bacon, cheese and other foods that people here say they stall on. He also says to consume alot more fat than protein and recommends people to buy the cheap fatty streaky bacon and eat the fat which most people here gag on when thinking about it. I think that it might not be the food as such which are causing people to stall, but the amount of fat to protein in the food. Alot of this diet is meat, and you get alot protein from them. I'm not sure of the exact details, but cheese is 1/2 fat and 1/2 protein, and alot of meats have more protein than fat. Atkins recommends to consume more fat than protein and alot of people it seems are eating roughly 1/2 and 1/2. I think what could be stalling the people here is large amount of proteins compared to fats they are eating.

Much like in low fat dieting, the person would be consuming alot more carbs than protein, and no where near the amount of protein the people here are eating. Maybe some people have not changed the way they think about fat properly for the diet. Fat is the same as Carbs in this diet. It is your fuel source, not the protein. A person on a low fat diet doesn't eat 1/2 carbs and 1/2 protein or they would most likely gain more weight. Protein contains more calories than fat if it is burn't by the body and used as fuel. I think it is in the ratio units of carb=1 cal, fat = 2 cals, and protein = 9 cals. Also many people agree that the US food pyrimid recommends too much protein for the average american diet, and that people can live perfectly well with lower amounts of protein. Protein gets re-used and re-used in the body, none of it is wasted in the human body, and it's this fact that many people question the high protein US pyrimid recommendation. If you have too much protein, it will be burn't and used as fuel and converted into high volume calories.

Don't quote me on this, as I can't remember the exact details from the book (I'm pretty sure it's right), but Atkins did stress to eat alot more fat than protein in the diet.

Chicken nowadays doesn't really have much fat in it, more protein. Maybe a good way to increase fat in the diet is to cut meat into strips or small chunks so that you can cook it in a frying pan in some heathly oil so it will have more surface area to absorb fat.

Also, I have found protein foods with high fat more filling than normal meats by cooking the way I have described and you don't seem to eat as much. If you have some Shaved ham from the supermarket for example, instead of eating it cold, poor some oil and butter in a frying pan and give each side a quick tan. Tastes great using butter and turkey strips too. It's very tasty and filling and you won't eat nearly as much of the meat to feel satisfied.

Does anyone here think it could be becuase of this higher protein to fat ratio or is it accually something else in the foods (like chemicals which we havn't discoved yet in innocent food like cheese and bacon rinds) which is causing people to stall?