#48   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 23:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/139.2/126.8 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:no idea!
Progress: 59%

Hi Want2Slim
I'm not an expert by any means, but I have been doing low-carb in Singapore for a while. It's not easy, but it is possible!

Well luckily I can work from home quite a lot so I try to eat most of my meals there. I just cook plain meat most of the time, and eat it with salad, or vegetables with melted cheese, etc.

Sorry, not sure whether you're local or expat in Singapore? If you're local then presumably you will be happy to visit the local wet markets, where you can get very cheap meat! Even if not (I don't go there personally because as an expat I feel I get ripped off!) you can shop at Carrefour or NTUC and still get some quite good bargains on meat.

Labels (or lack of them) are a problem here yes. Personally yI tend to just avoid things like sausages without a label, not just because of the lack of carbohydrate information but because without a label you don't have much of an idea of the quality. It could be 90% floor sweepings! Try to go to a big supermarket where there is a choice of brands and only buy the ones that can be bothered to use proper labels!

Alternatively for sausages if there isn't any choice, then just be aware that they might have carbs and have only one or two, on a day where you haven't already "maxed out" your carb allowance!

Other tips for low carb in Singapore are that at food courts, you can just ask for an extra large portion of chicken rice or whatever, with beansprouts, and just get rid of most of the rice. Or if you are on OWL just eat a few spoonfuls of the rice.

Don't worry about getting rid of the buns at fast food shops! There are people doing much stranger things than that! My personal strategy is to break off the bun in bits as you eat, and drop the small bits quietly into the wrapper. Then you aren't faced with a huge soggy beefburger!

Finally, if you want to venture into some of the 'false' foods, some branches of GNC and Watsons stock quite a good range of the diabetic foods. So you could have the odd bit of diabetic chocolate, cookies, etc. I don't do that personally but I know they are availalbe certainly in the Watsons at Raffles City Shopping Centre.

Good luck!