View Single Post
  #16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-18, 12:59

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
I've tried glycerin with no luck and I've tried booze with no luck. But maybe with BOTH TOGETHER will work. Will try that next time, IOMW. Thanks

I hope you get results consistent to mine. I don't make ice cream that often. I used 50mL Chambord + glycerin in a strawberry frozen custard.

Strawberry Frozen Custard

The Chambord is only 33 proof, 16.5% alcohol by volume per the label, so it does have sugar in it (it's a liqueur). Carb count was 8 per serving, which I thought was reasonable for what it was. Would I get equally good results in a recipe that doesn't have fruit pulp? I don't know. If I use vodka instead of Chambord, how will that affect the recipe? I don't know. When I make a vanilla frozen custard, I'm going to try it with 50mL of Bailey's Irish Cream + glycerin. I thought about using whiskey in a chocolate frozen custard. Whiskey is 80 proof... and has no sugar... I am curious to see how they compare. I don't want the end product to taste alcoholic. I tasted an ice cream made by a company whose primary business is distilling vodka-- they were sampling it at the liquor store. They're trying to make different products with their vodka, obviously. I thought it was awful, because I could taste the vodka. But it sells very well.

I'm going to make a different recipe that is NOT a frozen custard, Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream, from David Leibovitz's, "The Perfect Scoop". I want to adapt many of his recipes. We'll see how it compares in mouthfeel and consistency.

Quote:
Do you refrigerate the glycerine or store it at room temp?

The glycerin is shelf-stable. You do not need to refrigerate it.
Sponsored Links