Thread: Konjac Flour
View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 07:24

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm looking forward to making Buttoni's dumplings. There is also a recipe for making pasta with Buttoni's dumpling recipe as its origin I am looking forward to...now that I am through with the rubber band leathery tofu noodles and the strange konjac only noodles.

Here's the thread with the noodles, looks like fun:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...ad.php?t=820442

Also, I've made Buttoni's cheddar cheese biscuits a couple times now, they are delicious, and since they are not really flaky or crumbly like a regular biscuit, they can be used for sandwiches. I am on phase 2, sort of, with Atkins concept, not as strict, so I'm now adding in some low carb breads. I made the cheddar biscuit recipe increasing the size to make only 6 larger biscuits, and then treated them like rolls, using them for hamburger buns for burgers somewhere between slider and full size with about 2.6 ounce burgers, dressed with lettuce, one tomato slice, some onions and mayo and had real burgers with bun for the first time since January 1 this year. Very enjoyable, my wife and I had two with just dill pickles on the side for dinner. The cheddar biscuits are best warmed for such a use, it makes them very pliable and soft like a real bun and the Konjac flour gives them enough structure to hold up to being eaten as a burger bun and stay together until the last bite...if you size the burger right of course.

I see no one had a comment about using Konjac for light deep fry coating. I will do this experiment myself. I have some chicken wings to play with this weekend, I'm going to try dusting one with Konjac like I do cornstarch or sweet rice flour and drop in the deep fryer just to see what happens!

Oh, and Buttoni's right about the Xanthan gum, and a trick I've learned is if you dont have a specific recipe exact amount you know to use, what I do is keep the Xanthan gum in a salt or spice shaker and shake it a little at a time over a sauce or stew type dish until i get the consistency I want. Using too much makes more of a gel or mucus, so being careful is key. It also doesn't dissolve readily in a lot of stuff, so the shaker helps to introduce it in a finer spread, making it mix in with liquid much easier...but unless you pre-measure and put just that amount in a shaker, you have to eyeball it. you could also use a small fine sieve with a pre-measured amount to do something similar...sort of like sifting flour

Netrition's prices are pretty fair, especially if you order $100 worth of stuff and get free shipping. They also have a lot of sugar free low cab stuff. I bought a sugar free jam that is really good, and they sell black soy beans...an amazingly low net-carb bean.

Amazon can be a good resource for some of this unusual stuff, but can be expensive