View Single Post
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-09, 14:01

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi Kathy,

I got my dehydrator - the square one with drawers and teflex sheets - from my local health food store. But I started with one from the Wal-Mart. I just cut out rounds of parchment paper for recipes calling for teflex sheets and it worked fine - plus stuff dries more quickly with parchment.

The problem with that one was, there was no temperature guage and I did not know if I was going over the recommended 115 degrees F. However, it was great to practise on and I used it for a good long time. Then my husband bought me a new one for my birthday last year.

You can also mail order them. Many people recommend the extremely expensive Excalibur, and that's great if you can afford it.

I use the dehydrator to make raw seed ookies and manna and other seed breads. I have a few nice recipes.

The idiot's guide has some easy recipes for nut milks, treats etc. I also like the Raw Epicurean: http://rawepicurean.net. - since their recipes always work out and taste really good.

Mostly, I eat raw produce, but sometimes you have to have a bit of a treat or a break and that's where the dehydrator comes in; and it's much easier to convince the rest of the family to support you and even join you if they know they are at least going to have the occasional foods they love.

I also have a great recipe for raw chocolate pudding made with avacados. You won't believe how silky smooth it is.

Email me anytime with any questions, It's best to transition slowly to avoid a toxic dump (made that mistake and regretted it). It is also much less hard on the family that way too.

Baby steps. Start with an all raw breakfast then add one or two dishes of raw at lunch and supper.

My husband now takes a green smoothie to work each day for breakfast, and manna bread with raw nut butter, lots of veggies, and raw cookies fruit for lunch and he loves it! He does not feel deprived in the least. He can have meat (chicken or fish) twice a week, and a thick bowl of soup every night with his salad. Sometimes for dessert I make chia pudding, chocolate avacado pudding, raw cookies or just fruit salads and nuts. I forgo the meat, but still eat one bowl of soup or some lightly steamed veggies a few times a week.

You won't believe the difference in me. The vision in my right eye had been terribly blurred for years and it has cleared up. I am 55 and don't even need the glasses I had been wearing since age 40. There are many other benefits.

So write me with any questions and i am certain the others would be delighted to help in any way as well.

April info~anstria.com

Merry Christmas!!!