View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-17, 16:45

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

IMHO, google BMI, your bmi is 40.6.
BMI >= 30 will lose weight, if you limit your carb consumption.
When you limit your carb intake, your body can start regulate self and let you know whether you are hungry or not(eat or not.)

Do not FORCE eat. The rest is to get rid of BAD habits brain washed by people who know little of Foods and Nutritions Science.(ie. the heart association's warning.)

When your BMI get below 30, it is kind of tricky to lose weight. There is not much margin errors left.

The closer one get to 25 and below, one must use sleep & hungry method to lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeygod
I outlined my baseline scenario here in the board intro thread. I don’t have a low carb diet selected yet. I’m 3 weeks into my standard 1500-2000 cals a day diet and I’ve lost a bit, but nothing spectacular I’m dropping about 1-2 lbs a week which is SOP. The reason I’m looking at keto is that normally 2, 5, 10 or even 20 weeks or so down the track of weight loss I get hungry, tired and ... I don’t know just tired of it all despite the weight loss and it all slowly goes off the rails in a slow motion train crash. I’m looking at keto as something that might be sustainable long term.

Having dieted intermittently for over 40 years now I can just look at most foods and meals and come within 5% of the calorie content in my head if I know the ingredients, but counting carbs is tricker. The attraction of low carb (to me) is that it’s purported to be less of a daily battle to the death with your appetite and more sustainable over time. I’ve been low(ish) carbing for 4 days now and I’m probably at 50-60 carbs a days at this point. The Keotstix I bought haven’t budged off the very lowest second color bar “trace” indication.

I’m 315 lbs at this point and walk a mile a day in the evening plus three light exercise session at the gym during the week. I love meat but really more lean cuts than fatty meats and I’m really kind of leery about surviving on chicken with mayo, burgers fried in butter with cheese etc. I don’t have any known cardiac issues but it just seems to be a prescription for a heart attack and fat based foods are what I’m expected to use as intake for controlling carb hunger in the low carb paradigm.

So anyway, with that long preamble here is my question. Is going high fat really OK healthwise? This is not just low carb true believer arm waving because weight loss via ketosis works operationally? I’m morbidly obese at 315 and want to be get down to my “skinny” weight of 230-240 (don’t judge I realize for many people that’s still plenty fat but I’m built like a linebacker with tree trunk legs and 36” waist at that weight). Maybe it’s a mental block but I just don’t see surviving healthily on fried meats. I get that you can lose weight this way, but is there any empirical proof eating this fat-centric way is OK over the long term?