Old Sat, Jun-06-09, 02:25
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph317
thanks! i appreciate the information. i found the book on amazon and i'm going to order it. hopefully adding vitamin k will help his body use the d better. i'm anxious to see what the next bone scan will show.

how high would you go with his dose? 10,000, increasing slowly? he was only taking 2000 and i recently doubled it. how long would you wait to increase again?
I would take the opposite approach, your body is far better at wasting D3 than it is at saving it, so start with loading dose and work down.
The usual practice is to start with 50,000iu/WEEKLY for eight weeks and then drop down to around 5000iu/d or whatever 1000iu per 25lbs weight results in.
However people with chronic conditions may do better with levels above 70ng and it will probably take around 10,000iu/daily to keep above 70ng. In which case one 50,000iu every 5 days would be fine.

Demi posted the Vitamin D Councils Newsletter recently and that's got more information.

As we know D3 is an inert substance and taking 10,000iu/daily is safe even when combined with regular sun exposure the sooner deficiency is corrected the better. A 25(OH)D test in 3 months will show if he's around the 60~70ng level and you can then work out if a lower intake is required or not.
Sponsored Links