View Single Post
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
My big mistake was, after losing half the weight I wanted to, thinking I could go on Maintenance "for the summer" so I could eat a little more fruit. Well, the summer turned into 8 months!

Fortunately I only gained 7 or 8 pounds (most of that eating croissants and bread in France - you can't get anything else for breakfast there ), but it was very difficult to get back to OWL. For one thing, I couldn't remember what I was eating when I was losing 2 pounds a week last year.

Thanks to this group and Lifeform (like Fitday), I realized I was eating too few calories and not enough fat, and now I am back on track.

As to the legal sweets on the Atkins diet, I think that is YMMV. While I was losing that 2 pounds a week I was eating sf jello with homemade whipped cream, LC cheesecake, LC pumpkin un-pie (baked without the crust), LC key lime pie, etc., etc.

I have found that knowing I can make and eat really yummy things somehow keeps me from eating high carb sweets away from home. My DH and I went to a company dinner at which the dessert comprised an enormously long table jam packed with cakes, pies, etc., but I ate the strawberries and canteloupe. And my knickname used to be "Cookie!"

But I really didn't care, because knew I could make desserts just as delicious as those that wouldn't blow my diet.

And somehow it also keeps me from going overboard on the LC sweets; as long as I know I can have a guilt-free piece of that cheesecake for dessert after dinner, I can let it sit unmolested in the refrigerator for as many days as it takes us to eat it. I can't explain it, but there it is.

This thread was a great idea, Karen!

Karla