#55   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 07:29
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Roche

This is my personal opinion/understanding of CAD/CALP. If you fit the profile of a Heller carbohydrate addict then there is an actual chemical reaction that occurs when you ingest real carbs or even sweet tasting foods. That chemical reaction is an insulin surge that causes additional hunger/cravings or hypoglycemic reaction. The carbohydrate addict has a malfunctioning insulin regulator that causes the release of too much insulin at every feeding or ingesting of carbs.

An additional handicap, as I said, is that anything sweet tasting also causes this surge. This means that sugar free products such as gum, sodas, meal bars, candies, mints and other things also cause this reaction. That is why the Hellers specify that nothing is to be eaten between meals and that meals are restricted to no more than four a day. That is also why the use of sugar substitutes is also severely restricted.

As a trial, I would have no more than a total of 3 sugar substitutes a day taken with meals. Watch for your body's reaction and any continued hunger after the reward meal. If you are still hungry after the reward meal, cut down/out.