View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 10:16

Plan: IF/Keto/80:20
Stats: 162/150/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

That's pretty good going, well done! I'm training for my second marathon in May and like you really don't worry about what I eat when running as it all gets burnt up. I've upped my carbs substantially around training sessions (wish I didn't have to but I do -some can do this on LC) and generally LC at other times. You need to find what you can stomach as some people get sick but I use isotonic sports gels with no problem except getting fed up with the sweet taste. I've also eaten nougat, jelly babies and Kendal Mintcake (I'm in the UK) - basically anything with easily-accessible glucose syrup, and also boiled potatoes. Unless you are an exception you will need fuel on your marathon, little and often, and the longer you take the more you will need. You will have to start taking it before you need it - about twice an hour at least and after a good breakfast, as apparently it is impossible to absorb as much as you will be using so you will always be in defecit. Also, don't forget salts or unless you're very lucky you'll be hit by cramp in the last few miles. I would suggest you look for articles on Runners World or similar sites for advice on fuelling strategies. Having said all that, my favourite run this year was a 25-mile cross-country (fell) event, which I randomly fuelled by bacon sandwiches, chocolate cakes and tea at the many organised stops, so what do I know! It took a long time which is probably why I could stomach the more complicated food, generally the faster you are, the simpler it needs to be. Hope you have a successful marathon and that the little lad does OK.