#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 09:27
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%
Default Year 1 Report Card: I'm giving myself an A-

I started yet another attempt at weight loss on this day one year ago. Low carb had been the only way I'd ever lost any weight on previous attempts -- so that is what I decided to do again this time. I knew how to do LC -- I think I've spent years (in total) dieting this way. But I entered this diet with one new idea... NO CHEATING, NO BREAKS, EVER. And guess what? I actually managed to do it. That was the key for me. It led me to a new place that I'd never experienced on any previous diet. I broke free from the carby junk I used to love and now love the healthy foods I am eating. I stopped dieting and changed how I eat. I'm not deprived. I no longer miss the unhealthy things I used to call food. I'm happy with what I eat everyday. My body is happy, too. And this is the result:

I started at whopping 440 pounds. I was an undiagnosed Type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure and plenty of other health problems starting to pile up. Something had to happen - or I was not going to be long for this world.

It turned out to be a pretty good year. The best ever, in fact. I've lost 147 pounds and reclaimed my life in so many ways. I also managed to get my daughter -- who inherited my genes for being a massive carb craver -- to follow this WOE and she is getting it done, too. I think I am more happy for her than I am for myself.

OK - so I picked a photo that accentuates the positive. Yes, I have plenty of bumps, bulges, and flabby parts on me that still need to go. I am down to 293 pounds and I have a long way to go on this journey. My goal is 210 -- but I'd love to get below 200 eventually. My losses have slowed down, but I'm still tweaking my plan and I'm continuing to make progress. Will I get there this year? Probably not. But I will be farther along than I am today.

I have no illusions about what I'm doing, how I got here and what will happen if I ever decide to dabble in the sweets and junk food of my past WOE. It will lead to another failure. Returning to the old way of eating is simply out of the question. What junk food is so desirable that I would trade my health and happiness for another taste? I can't think of any.

Now to give credit where credit is due, I did not do this alone. In January of 2014 I discovered this forum while looking for LC recipes, lurked for a while and then became a member. The information and experience here has proven to be extremely helpful, not to mention the many LC buddies that I've gotten to know along the way. I saw what others had done and I found the inspiration I needed to keep on going. On the flip side, I also saw plenty of examples of what not to do and have tried to learn from those mistakes. I'd never done the support thing before, but I needed help and I found it here. Thanks to all of you that have inspired me and helped me get to where I am today. I am in your debt.

I have my annual checkup in a few weeks. I am really looking forward to seeing the test results after 1 full year of eating healthy. Food has proven to be medicine -- the best kind of medicine. I've kicked diabetes in the butt and may have put my hypertension behind me as well. We'll have to see what the Doc has to say.

It appears that I've made LCHF my new WOE. Despite the fact that I live in a world filled with carb loaded sugary processed treats at every turn, I've found a way to dodge the junk and stick exclusively to foods that are good for me. I found a way to make this sustainable. As a result, my 50's are going to be my best decade since my 20's. The worm has turned for me and I'm moving in a new direction.

I've made a few mistakes along the way. Some days I have simply eaten too much LC food. I've knocked myself out of ketosis 3 times by going a little too high on the carb count. The cutoff for me appears to be around 50 total carbs. But I have not had any off-plan foods. Not even a bite. I'm still working on my plan and I'm still trying to address bad eating habits that are hindering my progress. I give myself an A- for this year. There is room for improvement and I hope to earn an A+ by the end of my second year.
Sponsored Links