View Single Post
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 18:29

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

Liver, bone broth, and bone marrow might not be part of the standard American diet, but they hardly qualify as "weird Polish foods." They're consumed by every culture I can think of.... Hispanic, French, Italian, Jewish, British, Japanese, Chinese, Korean... and they're universally considered to be highly nutritious. So, while some of the recipes in ON are specifically Polish, the food choices are pretty much universally applicable.

Regarding ratios, I did look everything up in the beginning (I have the values for our most commonly eaten foods saved in a spreadsheet), and our meals aren't too high in protein. On this way of eating, we're satisfied with very small portions. One egg plus a yolk, or a 2-3 oz. serving of meat, is plenty for us. For instance, with the chicken dish I mentioned, I took a single thigh (with skin, pan juices, and fat-soaked vegetables), and didn't finish it. Meat goes a long way these days.

I don't think this is just some quirk of my personal metabolism, as I've always had a fairly big appetite. In past pregnancies, I could eat two full steak dinners by this stage.... then I'd wake up in the middle of the night and eat another one, LOL. My husband is also satisfied with small amounts, even though he used to love to have large servings of meat and cheese. As I was unloading the dishwasher this morning, I was thinking that perhaps we should put away our full-size dinner plates, and just use the luncheon plates.

If you're still eating a lot of lower-quality fats and lower-quality proteins, that could be the reason why you're feeling hungry. Never mind the organ meats for now; from an ON perspective, it would be a big improvement just to cut out the daily consumption of nuts, vegetable oils, and chocolate, and replace them with more egg yolks, butter, bacon, and fatty sausage. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but (regardless of what might be said on some web sites) Dr. K's books make it very clear that counting grams of protein is NOT the key to success. If the food is properly selected and optimally balanced, you can eat as much as you want.