View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 23:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%

Hi,
I'm hypothyroid. Before I was diagnosed I gained 20 lbs, was sleeping 11 hours a night and still tired during the day, and, particularly, I kept the heat in the bedroom so high my husband complained it was like a sauna. In fact, for a whole year he kept saying the apartment was way too hot. It was two years later I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. And my body temperature was always 97 degrees.

I'm now medicated, not cold anymore, not sleeping so much, and still struggling with weight, but my endocrinologist says the weight is unrelated to my thyroid since I'm taking medication.

If you feel parti. cularly sleepy in the mid afternoon, say 3:00 pm, that could signal hypoglycemia. I have that also. And you can get very sluggish and dazed, cloudy thinking, and sweats and tremors from it. The test for that, fasting glucose tolerance test, is pretty awful - at least I felt very shakey when I did it -- because that's how a hypoglycemic reacts. You go in fasting from the night before, they give you a very sugary orange drink, and you stay there for five hours while the nurse draws blood at half hour intervals. In the fourth hour mine was very low. My doctor said my reaction was extreme and was stunned I could cope with that. (i'd have chocolate bars throughout the day, is how I did it. And I don't even like chocolate but it was easy to purchase, readily available and always did the trick.) She recommended protein, many mini meals - as much as 17 a day!, (I never do this) but manage quite well on 5 or 6). BTW,
Atkins totally takes care of the hypoglycemia issue. I don't have those surges and shakes.

Hope this helps,
Ruby